Riding solo - tips please!

I've been sharing a lovely mare since Christmas and had mostly lessons on her but on the two occasions I've ridden her on my own I've felt a bit lost as to what I should be doing as I'm so used to being told what to do, where and when.
She can be pretty lazy and the instructor usually asks me to give her quite a firm reminder with the schooling whip when she ignores my leg aids and ambles along at 0.1 miles an hour. She is pretty smart so I need some ideas for schooling movements that will keep her mind on the job - any ideas? Do you always need a 'plan' in your head of what you will be achieving in a ride?

I usually have a bit of a plan - otherwise I end up ambling round not doing a lot!
Next time you have a lesson you could ask your instructor for some ideas, "homework" if you like that you could work on until your next lesson.

It is always good to have a plan for when your schooling. It not only gives you a goal that you want to meet during your schooling session, but allows you to give the horse clear, smooth aids and reduces confusion! The plan doesn't need to be regimented and can be quite loose. I have found that it can be helpful to memorise a simple dressage test that you can run through and practice. As you become more established in the turns and movements you can begin to add bits such as changes of direction and pace to make it your own. You can often find dressage tests on the internet.
Schooling with lots of changes in direction can keep a horses mind active and thinking, so bear this is mind when schooling a 'lazy' horse. Always work on ensuring that the horse works properly in each gait. Working in trot can be good for this. If the horse does need to use a bit more energy from behind do not be afraid to use your schooling whip, behind the leg. It is much kinder to give one clear reminder with the whip than to amble along banging with your legs and not getting anywhere.
Always try to end a schooling session on a good note, so when you are happy that you have gotten some good forward work from your horse that may be a time to end. Most of all have fun!! :)

first and foremost its actually better to have a "lazy" horse, then a too forward horse, especially for beginners, why? because you can always go faster, but when your at full tilt with no brakes theres where things go wrong.

I always play with patterns, and when I am not playing with patterns I do exactly what my previous lesson was ( I mean your RI taught you that for a reason right?) So when all else fails and you are just ambling around just do what you did for the previous lesson.

Hi,

Thanks for posting this question, its been something that kinda niggles at me that if I do eventually get a horse...what do I do with it?? :D

I do serpentines and changing rein quite a lot in my lessons, and going over two poles changing the # strides between them and things like that..it would be good for a solo cos you dont have to move the poles! :)

Good luck, do let us know what you do and what works and what doesnt :)

thanks

JuliP

newrider.com