Riding schools in Cheltenham

Lot1983

Oct 16, 2006
The Cotswolds
Does anyone know of any good ones in the direct Cheltenham area?

I'm not happy with my riding and was thinking about booking the odd lesson each month to help me focus. I already drive quite far to see my share so I litterally want something I can pop 10mins up the road to (and be back home before 9pm lol)

Thanks

Its been a LONG time since i went to a riding school, and when i did i learned to ride at my mums cousins yard (in Cheltenham, but i dont think she does lessons anymore lol!), but the ones that i know of are Southam (i had a couple of lessons there) and Home Farm.

I think alot of people like home farm equestrian centre, brockhampton, over by southam. They do all sorts there. Other than that Ullenwood Riding School.
Aren't there some shurdington way as well.

Just google riding school cheltenham and it gives you a list.

Southam closed years ago, becoming livery, I think, and Home Farm, Brockhampton is not a Riding School. I don't know Ullenwood, but can thoroughly recommend Huntley School of Equitation, wher you have top quality professionals and part qualified students to choose from. Then there is Summerhouse near Gloucester. Isn't there one at Prestbury, or has that gone too?

Although I used to enjoy hacking at Moat Farm, Gotherington, I would not recommend it for lessons, as they are really only geared up towards small children and do not have qualified instructors.

Further afield you have Talland (Cirencester), Bourton on the Water and Jill Carenza (Stanway), but I have no experience of them so cannot advise of their suitability.

Good luck

Southam closed years ago, becoming livery, I think, and Home Farm, Brockhampton is not a Riding School. I don't know Ullenwood, but can thoroughly recommend Huntley School of Equitation, wher you have top quality professionals and part qualified students to choose from. Then there is Summerhouse near Gloucester. Isn't there one at Prestbury, or has that gone too?

Although I used to enjoy hacking at Moat Farm, Gotherington, I would not recommend it for lessons, as they are really only geared up towards small children and do not have qualified instructors.

Further afield you have Talland (Cirencester), Bourton on the Water and Jill Carenza (Stanway), but I have no experience of them so cannot advise of their suitability.

Good luck

All good advice, to add to that, is Burnt Ash farm in Minchinhampton.

My daughter did her work experience at Jill Carenza's yard last year when she was doing her ND @ Hartpury.

There is also Noverton farm in Prestbury (ask for Chloe)

Ullenwood is more geared towards group lessons with youngsters.

It depends on what she is looking to do be it general riding, jumping, dressage, XC etc (existing standard etc) ?

There is also a lady in Apperley who teaches to a high standard, but I'd have to ask my friend for a bit more info.

Last edited:
newrider.com