Riding other peoples horses?

Sunshine-x

Jul 31, 2008
Just wondered whether you like it or not? I have a horse coming this weekend for me to hunt for the owners, will get a sit on it the day before, then hunt it, then they'll have it back. Obviously its my job to do this, but wondered how often people tend to ride other peoples horses? Do you stick to your own or swap about? Personally I always prefer my own, but there is the odd couple I like riding!

In the past i have ridden other people's. Took pony hunting for the owner first time out, then got handed child on lead rein!
Did trec and met the horse when i caught it in the morning. But having said that i already knew he was quiet to ride-well only based on what i was told but i trusted the owners that he would be and he was a gentleman.
So yes and here and there. But nothing that i would call beyond what an average rider would manage-sane and sensible. He i going to break a bone i would rather do that off my own thanks.

When I was younger and worked in equestrian, riding other peoples horses was just a matter of course wether it was a livery yard/private yard and one yard I worked on had 90 in work so had a very varied choice there ! Nowadays its more of an excitment to get an opportunity but I personally would have more thrill out of driving a new horse! I think im to old and fat and less confident now to be horse hopping :giggle:

I'm not the most confident now so I prefer only riding a horse I know.....my own for the most part (even though he's the one I lost confidence on!) I have ridden friend's Arab and he's a saint, lovely paces, but I just didn't feel comfortable since my horse is built like a coffee table and hers is more of a balance beam. I like that my boy is a plod, but I like that he's a very responsive plod - by no means a kick along, very sensitive to my seat and legs. I like how far he is away from the ground, that he isn't too fast.
Really for the most part I don't want to ride other horses in case I was to fall in love with another and feel like my boy wasn't adequate. I would also feel like I was cheating on him lol - I'm very monogamous lol!!

I am too wussy! Used to ride OH's horse and when on a yard have ridden fellow liveries - but only very briefly!!

Gosh - just realised my reply made it look like I rode my fellow liveries - hahaha and not their horses!!! Lol its been a LONG hard day.....

I am too wussy! Used to ride OH's horse and when on a yard have ridden fellow liveries - but only very briefly!!

Gosh - just realised my reply made it look like I rode my fellow liveries - hahaha and not their horses!!! Lol its been a LONG hard day.....

just a quicky then was it?!

hee hee

:frown::wub:

It's not the riding of other horses that bothers me, its riding in other situations. Don't mind what I ride out hacking, couldn't do it in a confined area though.

I love riding different horses - think it keeps you better skilled as a rider - I lie the comfort of riding madam - it's like coming home to well worn slippers - emotional attachment and comfortable - but I think my riding development and challenges are fairly limited with her - we've got as much as we will ever do - hacking out alone and in company. I don't enjoy schooling her as she doesn't enjoy it, she doesn't enjoy jumping and is often unwell so makes Trec training difficult. So we hack. And I wouldn't change that but it does limit the challenges to me when I struggle to keep her fit etc

Before the days of having my own horses id love riding anything, wether it was a RS horse or a friends. Given the chance id 'jump to it!' :tongue:

Now i just prefer the comfort blanket of my own, i know exactly how they react to different things and i find that makes me feel safe.

I am forever getting asked to ride peoples small ponies (As im a teeny dot at 5foot!) which i feel inclined to say yes too but i find myself getting very nervous about it.

Yesterday a lady on our yard asked me to ride her 4yr old welsh pony as she takes the p*ss with the ladies young daughter apparently, i said yes...but kinda wishing i hadnt now!! :frown:

Although I'm no great shakes as a rider I would have a go on anything as long as it wasn't certified mad.

When I borrowed my friend's 13.2 New Forest he objected to being separated from his friend and BUCKED and BUCKED and BUCKED for about half a mile. What a hoot! I hung on like grim death. I'd ride him again though!

I have and still do ride a couple at our yard for schooling/correct/taking the pee. I don't mind and enjoy it. But there is only one other at my yard that I have ridden and gone 'Sh&t this is a great horse I really want it' the rest as always OK but I love going back to my old man.

It's not the riding of other horses that bothers me, its riding in other situations. Don't mind what I ride out hacking, couldn't do it in a confined area though.

See Im the opposite there! I always felt a nelly on hacks on a strange horse! Especially if riding on the road. I would rather find a horses bad quirks in a confined space.

Thinking about it I dont think I could probabley ride anything but a stready eddie these days! I found after I had my baby I seemed to become a real worrier.. thinking of all those what ifs and so on!

I don't mind hopping on horses of friends or other liveries if I know them to be relatively safe. Also enjoy trying different horses at riding schools when training for exams. But not found any others that match up to my wonder loan horse Galaxy yet! :D

Riding lots of different horses is part of my job so I'm used to it, but I think it makes you ride your own better. Riding other horses can highlight bad habits and tendencies you have and you can learn a lot from different reactions to the same buttons.
I enjoy the experience of riding others but I like riding my own because I've trained them to go the way I like - it's kind of like going back to a pair of comfortable shoes. The problem is when I get horses (but usually ponies) in to sell that I really like, as I tend not to try very hard to get rid of them :D

I will have a sit on anything really. I used to ride horses on full livery and school them, also have trialled horses for people looking to buy :smile:

Yet to meet a horse I didnt have a nice sit on even if it was naughty for a bit :mstickle: had some hilarious times and been dumped more times than I care to remember but still got back on and had a laugh :biggrin:

I think i must be odd.

I like riding other peoples horses and i am always 100% more confident on horses i don't own/ride regularly even if the reason i am riding them is because they have been a bit silly.

maybe it's because i grew up riding dealers horses..........?

newrider.com