Riding Lusitano and Andalusian horses

Feawen

Jan 12, 2012
I’d love to find out more about riding Lusitano and Andalusian horses. What are your impressions of them? Whether you’ve owned one, ridden one, or happened to meet one once :biggrin:, please share.

I’ve had a few lessons recently on a Lusitano gelding. I’ve learned a lot! He is a real schoolmaster, although he isn’t asked to do lots of very athletic work anymore because he’s an older boy. The RS is understandably protective of him so I feel very privileged.

He has very different paces to anything else I’ve ever ridden. It took me the whole of the first lesson to figure out what his feet were doing underneath me. I kept wanting to push him forward, but when I did he was clearly out of his natural rhythm. Lesson two was better, and in lesson three we started to achieve bits work I was proud of, although there were still a few dodgy uncoordinated moments. :giggle:

I have ridden well-educated horses before – Warmbloods, TBs, and a couple of cobby / draught x types – but this is a whole new thing. I am used to collection being a very powerful feeling with lots of suspension and oomph. This horse feels more delicate. His paces are shorter and (at least, until he is very collected indeed) quicker, and there is no feeling of potential extension. Not that he won’t extend, just that it isn’t ready and waiting. Sorry, I can’t find a better way of putting all that.

So I’m wondering if this is typical of the type, or just this horse? Does my experience sound familiar to anyone, or are you thinking ‘doesn’t sound like the Lusos I’ve ridden’? Does anyone have any advice for riding Lusitanos (or Andalusians, I think there would be a lot of crossover)? What are their temperaments usually like?

Anyway, so, I have lots of questions!
:nerd:

They are very sharp, very clever and have a lot of mettle. Some have a very powerful gait, but not uncomfy.

They are easily offended and take things to heart.

As Wally has said. I had the priviledge of riding my instructors very talented Luso mare, she was fabulous to ride, very comfortable, anything i asked for i got immediatly without question and all her paces flowed, can't say she didn't feel powerful either, but everthing was so beautifully collected she was amazimg to ride.

I rode an Andalusian gelding on the beach at Studland. He was fidgety, sharp and very elevated. His paces reminded me immensely of my French Arab, who's a similar height at 15.2 - lovely loose walk, very airborne trot and an immense canter.

He was very very very soft in the mouth, and arched his neck with barely a touch on the rein.

We had an andy here to sell and I hated the thing. It had been parelli trained and was a pure pig! Though that may have more to do with the parelli than the horse...

I rode an Andalusian gelding on the beach at Studland. He was fidgety, sharp and very elevated. His paces reminded me immensely of my French Arab, who's a similar height at 15.2 - lovely loose walk, very airborne trot and an immense canter.

He was very very very soft in the mouth, and arched his neck with barely a touch on the rein.

I rode him too:
http://www.photoboxgallery.com/studlandphotography/photo?photo_id=2224085639

He was wonderful. Such a lovely uphill canter :inlove:

If you take the pee out of a Shetland, an Icelandic or an Iberian they will take the pee back. All very clever breeds and all more than willing to do what you want.

Thanks for all your replies! The horse I've been riding has a nice manner and I'd say he is responsive but not super sharp, though perhaps he has mellowed with time ;)

I love the attitude Wally described above :)

newrider.com