Riding injury update

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I've been going to the osteopath for a couple of months now since the pain in my left hip and knee got so bad whilst riding I would have to get off after half an hour.

I have numerous things wrong including my sacroiliac on my left side, a displaced femur, inward rotation of the whole of my left leg and a very tight right thigh muscle. Also my knees bow inwards but that's just genetic and not something curable.

They manipulate everything from my toes to my spine and I'm so impressed with the results. I can now ride pain free except for a couple of minutes when I first get on where my knee is a little sore.

I can occasionally feel my sacroiliac when I'm lying down but hopefully in time it'll improve even more.

But the biggest change has got to be in the large scar and muscle in my right thigh. She's worked on the muscle three times now, the first time was absolutely excruciating and the worst thing I've ever sat through purely because my body was so tense, all the nerves are damaged and I found it horrible to even touch the area myself.

Then last visit she had another go with it, much better than previously but still uncomfortable and tight and not enjoyable.

Today I felt nervous when she said she was going to work on it again, but I can't believe the change. No pain, barely any tightness at all. Feels completely different to touch and to look at, can't get over how restrictive it must of been. I feel completely comfortable touching it now and even working on it myself if need be. Feels like I have a whole new leg!

Think I finally understand how one right muscle in a human or horse can be so important, it really does affect everything else. And the difference after it has been worked on is phenomenal. They have concluded that the right hand thigh is the most likely cause of everything else.

Anyway sorry that turned out really long, I've just found it all fascinating and very eye opening!

Very interesting indeed, although I don't know if I'd have been brave enough to go back after the first time :eek: I'm glad you're feeling so much better now.
I felt all shakey and weird afterwards, it's amazing how your body can react to certain things. And afterwards it went red and was boiling hot for a couple of hours, part of the healing process apparently! I just think of Ale now when he had this sort of thing done and they found a particularly tight muscle

My old sports physio told me all about fascia and how we are connected throughout our bodies by it, it kind of makes a lot of sense that one part of us being slightly out of kilter can affect other parts that we may not even think of as being connected.
I'm really pleased for you that your getting a lot of benefit from seeing your osteopath, has she given you any specific exercises to do? Just a tiny tip from me (hyper mobile joints, especially my sacroiliac) try sleeping with a fairly firm pillow between your knees, it supports your pelvis and stops your leg lolling over and twisting the joints, have to say that has been one of the best ever suggestions any physio/chiro/GP/osteopath has ever given me and literally transformed my life.

My old sports physio told me all about fascia and how we are connected throughout our bodies by it, it kind of makes a lot of sense that one part of us being slightly out of kilter can affect other parts that we may not even think of as being connected.
I'm really pleased for you that your getting a lot of benefit from seeing your osteopath, has she given you any specific exercises to do? Just a tiny tip from me (hyper mobile joints, especially my sacroiliac) try sleeping with a fairly firm pillow between your knees, it supports your pelvis and stops your leg lolling over and twisting the joints, have to say that has been one of the best ever suggestions any physio/chiro/GP/osteopath has ever given me and literally transformed my life.
Yes I have a number of exercises I do daily, including the plank! And also one I do when first getting on Brodie that is aimed at loosening my left left and get it laying more correctly, not inward for example.

Thank-you for the suggestion, I will give that a try too :)

newrider.com