Riding in the wind

Barehooves

May 6, 2010
Does anyone ride when it is windy like this? I only get to ride at the weekends at the mo and my horse is rock solid in any weather. Just wondering if anyone else will ride tomorrow? X

i love riding in the wind....for some reason T is always soo much better and way more responsive than when the weather is nice an calm...

I never really ride when it's super windy. Ben hates it, tilts his head to one side and is generally a racehorse with rocket fuel up his bum :D Add sideways lashing rain in with that and it's a death sentance ;)

If he doesn't enjoy, I certainly don't either - not the end of the world for us. My old mare was steady as a rock though, nothing phased her at all.

Don didn't like it much today - not sure how much of it was him freaking out and how much was him taking the mick cos I'm not able to ride much these days...

I do anything in all weathers apart from frozen ice.

If they live in a field it's windy already, i have been in the school today with my youngster. I would like her to be able to deal with things that flap etc and trust me to keep her safe.

Yes we ride in wind... Though I had to laugh, field neighbour rode tonight and came back after ten minutes - shed had a ling day at work and been up all night with kids who have a bug - she got to the end of the lane, met a fallen over wheelie bin with lid flapping... She turned round and came home hehehe.

Weather is a joke, my haynet blew away, then madams dinner and then I tripped and wind send me off balance face first in field!!!!

i had a lesson this morning in the wind & rain. The horse i was on spooked 3 or 4 times as the schooling area is outside & surrounded by trees. I found it ok though..

i hacked out this morning with a friend. We did all road work and were out for a couple of hours. When I got to the yard I did wonder if I really wanted to go as it was really windy but decided to go.

Both horses were as good as gold. There was one huge load of straw covered in black plastic that was flapping madly behind a hedge and the horses could only hear it and see an occasional black bit. Even Izzy was nervous of going forward so I got off and led him past. Did have a Thelwell moment as I got on from the ground and my friend nearly fell off laughing, but apart from that it was fine.:wink:

I never used to when I first got Joy but we're 4 years into our partnership and although I know she can be a numpty at time I'm not concerned about riding when it's windey althugh I play it by ear about what we actually do.

i did go out with angel this morning. i could actually hear the wind HOWL it was that bad! luckily, angel isnt too bothered, tucks her head between her knees and ploughs on regardless (albeit, sideways if she thinks this is a better angle for doging the gale!). bless her :wub:

Interesting thread, it was only last night i was reading kelly Marks 'perfect manners' who says they get hot headed in wind beacuse hearing is one of their primary senses and the wind makes it muffled.... so as a flight animal they get a bit spooked, so big congrats to those that do ride out in it... you horses must really respect and trust y'all!!
I am too much of a scardey cat to try.. I like fair weather lol

I'm not bothered by it either, only thing I won't ride out in is ice and heavy rain, if it's drizzly or light then most of the time I still will go. He doesn't care one iota if it's windy or not.

I think the fact they live out 24/7 does help desensitize (sp?) most horses to it to a degree.

I've ridden Raf in wind before and he's been a bit more on his toes but ok, but I wouldn't have ridden in yesterday's wind - I'd have been to scared of a branch falling on us or someone's plastic garden furniture slamming into us :eek:

I rode yesterday no problems but chose not to today, mainly because I am hungover and went for a walk and got soaked, didn't fancy going out and getting soaked again. Will ride tomorrow whatever the weather though.

High winds freak me out more than her! She is definitely more on her toes in the wind, the same when she's turned out in it too. They were all hooning about and doing mock spooks at anything they could yesterday in the field.

I worry about branches falling on us, won't walk the dog in the forest when it's that bad either.:bounce:

Also, I find the wind makes me jumpy for some reason too! :giggle:

newrider.com