Riding in South West London

clare F

Jun 17, 2003
London - SW
Visit site
Hi

Sorry for another request. I recently took up riding again after a break of 10 years. However the school I am riding at - whilst nice - doesnt really provide the lessons I would like. I am looking for somehwhere in South West London that I can get good private lessons with the same person each week. An added bonus would be if the instructor was Enlightened Equiataion trained or inclined - or if not then classically trained. Just wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere?

Cheers.

Hi Clare,

Where abouts in SW London are you?
I have to highly recommened my instructor who has turned me and my horse from complete cabbage green into something resembling a half decent dressage team......

Teaches at our yard in Shepperton 3 times a week - somtimes more as she also keeps 1 of her horse their too - Let me know if this is any good for you as we may have a couple of horses looking for a new rider........

Thanks very much for replying.

I am in Putney, but would have to use public transport/taxis at the moment so I am not sure I would be able to reach Shepperton that easily.

Im guessing shepperton station is the nearest - are any tube stops near you?

Hi Clare,

I used to live in the centre of London and have just moved out to Teddington, so I know how difficult finding somewhere to ride in town can be!

There are a couple of stables in Wimbledon - I don't know if that's where you're riding right now, I have heard mixed things about one place, but I know of another that's meant to be good and I could always get the details off the internet for you. These are probably the nearest stables to Putney.

There are also a couple of places in Kingston (one of which I've just started riding at) and Richmond - I guess it just depends how far you want to travel. The same goes for Epsom - it depends on how much time you have and whether you want to faff around with changing trains at Clapham.

Thanks for the replies. I have also heard good things about the Kingston Riding School so may try that. I actually currently ride at wimbledon stables - they are a lovely riding centre and the horses are fantastic, but unfortunately I can't get the kind of tuition I am looking for there - particularly at the weekend.

or deen city farm (www.deencityfarm.co.uk) near colliers wood tube, i used to ride there (so did hackedoff). their new instructor guy isn't, erm, great though i hear :rolleyes:

julia
x

ps: wimbledon village stables is VERY pricey!!!

pps: if you want to venture a bit further, lee valley riding centre in hackney is brilliant for lessons!!!

Kingston riding does provide more instruction oppurtunities than Wimbledon Village as it has 2 schools on site. It also provides plenty of oppurtunities for late evening instruction throughout the week as it has a floodlit indoor school.

Riding in SW London

Clare,
The closest riding schools to you you know about. I ride at Wimbledon (keep a horse there) and have also taken lessons at Kingston. Getting tuition at weekends almost anywhere is difficult, as that is when most people want lessons. I managed to achieve my BHS Stage 1, by riding at Wimbledon - taking the Stage 1 class, which is during the week, with additional tuition elsewhere.
The only way to get really good one on one tuition is by riding during the week, then you have more choices. I did my one on one tuition for Stage 1 at Wildwoods, this is down the A217 in Tadworth, Surrey. All the horses are school horses. There is no indoor school, but two good outdoor rings and good show-jumping and cross-country courses, and the instructors are very good. Wildwoods has a web site.
Best of luck,
Jackie

newrider.com