riding in lincoln please help

lincolnlady

Jun 8, 2007
lincoln
hi im from lincoln and have been trying to get a loan horse for about two years with no success so have been thinking about going back to a riding school i dont really want to go back to mr bakers on newland street west as we dont get on as i dont like the way he treats the horses does anyone have any idea if there isw any other stables in lincoln i dont drive so will be relying on my old bike or buses lol im getting desperate as i miss being around horses so much or if anyone needs there horse exercising i will do this for them and pay or do yard duties i dont mind mucking in with the hard work thanx for reading sarah xx

None of those are actually in Lincoln :( I used to live there.

The nearest I can see would be the Equine Unit of the university, but although BHS approved riding establishment I don't *think* they do any tuition for riders who are not uni students.

Welton would be the only one of those I'd consider close enough even with a car, it would take you hours to cycle but there is a bus to Welton I'm sure. I had a look around there a couple of years ago and remember it not being too bad.

Unfortunately Riseholme don't do private lessons, although my mum did a 15 week course there to prepare for her stage two riding exam, which we DONOT talk about :p. It was very reasonably priced and there are some fantastic horses there.
I also think the nearest decent riding school would be Rednil at Welton. There are buses 1/2 hourly into the village if that is any help to you. :)

I'm considering a share as Im going to uni in Lincoln. Was looking at Newland St West, is it really bad there? PM me if you need to. :)

Can vouch for Rednil having ridden there before, its ok.
Theres also a stables at wragby if that'd be any use.
Although its a lot further to travel, Brook house in scamblesby is brilliant, they are so friendly and the horses are lovely, its just further to travel, but i found it was worth the extra miles!

Theres not much in the way of loans in Lincoln, is there? i cant say ive seen many advertised myself. :(

If you had been a driver i may have been able to help but we live in the midle of nowhere so a car is a must really. Will ask around for you though. I'm near gainsborough by the way. :)

I learnt to ride at Bakers.got up at 5 in the morning and waited for everyone to arrive just to bring the horses in off the common (1979)!!! I dont know about now but it is a different way to ride as you ride on the south common-great cantering. I have been going to Rednil at welton for more years than I care to mention and Abi learnt to ride there. I have a fondness for it and considering I have just taken my stage two at todmorden and rode three legged half dead donkeys and FAILED my stage two miserably, its a half decent place!!!!
Cannot recommend others as I havent ridden there, apart from Riseholme, where if the exam hadn't been cancelled twice after my course I might have passed!!! Rant over :p
Go welton go !! :D

Can also recommend Brook house at Scamblesby but it is far too far!!

Brook house is the best!

wish i could still go there myself, but i'm going to live in halls at Lincoln uni so my only real choice is that one on Newland St West or to find some sort of share (theres enough horses on the common - someone must need help, well i hope anyway.)

Lincolnlady, theres two horses up for loan in Binbrook i believe, dont know if they've already gone on loan, but its a 16hh mare and her 15.3hh companion. Could find the ad for you if you are interested. (We could always share them lol, id love to loan them myself but havent got time to devote to a full loan. Maybe we should get a horse and share it Lincolnlady! I believe grass livery on Lincoln common isnt too expensive , its a silly idea tho lol. )

hi gemloveshorses i would love to share if you wanted to have a share with me newland street west is a riding school only doesnt loan his horses out i learnt to ride there when i was 5 i loeft when i was 14 and went to saxilby as someone else said we used to get there for about 5 in the morning walk about a mile to the field collect the horses take them back groom them tack them up etc and we had one lesson then around 5 in afternoon we would walk the mile back or sometimes we were allowed to ride but had to carry tack back the mile by the time i used to get hom at around 7 in the evening i used to be in tears with pains in my legs mr baker the old bloke who owns the stables is a right miserable old t**t ive had loads of run ins with him i went to work for him wen i was about 18 and he paid me £10 a day from 5 in morning till 6 in the evening and used to speak to us all like s**t so i told him straight to ram his job lol then last year my bf paid for me to go back riding so went back and at 24 years old after starting to ride my mums friends horse at 2 then starting proper lessons at 5 and having worked at a showjumping stables he still spoke to me like a child the last straw was when the farrier came one day he was doing one of the older horses feet (think it was about 20 yrs old) and one of the ponies that was stood behind the old horse was playing up and bumped into the older horse and it jumped forward mr baker picked up a broom and in front of everyone there whacked the older horse across the front legs with the broom handle so as u can imagine i went mental picked up another broom and went for him with it had 3 people trying to stop me his reply? my horses ill do what i want hes a nasty piece of work and i wouldnt recomend anyone going there. anyway rant over sorry its long it just gets my back up there are loads more incidents but i wont go into all of them lol but gemloveshorses if you want to share a loan that would be fine by me i dont mind at all xxx

i am just going to save up and buy my own. Should have enough by next summer. Hope you guys do manage to get sorted.:)

Eek, i was planning on going there as it was so near to the uni, but lessons all the time, its not the best thing for me as i have a problem with my L ankle so i cant walk longer distances and shouldnt be doing much faster work riding or much jumping (havent ridden for a year now so doubt i'll be able to do it anyway), cant canter as ive struggled with it for 11 years and still counting, so its really just hacking and the odd lesson for me. hence hoping a part share would be an option. theres no way i can own or loan as i dont have the money, time or health but could commit about 3 days a week possibly to a share (tho then theres the problem that i have to move out of my uni accomodation at xmas easter and over the summer and id struggle to be able to get into lincoln all the time.) So i dont know what to do. I cant ask my mum to drive me to rednil anymore as im 18 now, i cant afford to ride right now but hoping a part time job whilst at uni will sort that (cant have a job right now as im working full time voluntary 5 days a week at a solicitors and also 1 day out of my weekend voluntary at oxfam). cant expect mum to ferry me as parents dont agree with me riding and have other interests... hence why i was looking at newland st as its so near to the uni and id be independent, but id want to ride somewhere friendly and would rather not ride at this newland st place as it doesnt sound nice. so i dont know, i do wonder if we could possibly get a horse on loan and share it (assuming a loan comes up) as if i wasnt paying for lessons id be able to pay half the costs, tho itd have to be a hardy type who lives on fresh air lol! tho i wouldnt like to think id let you down if i have to go in for surgery (this can happen at anytime due to the nature of my medical problems) or if i cant get into lincoln for whatever reason when im off uni (although, there are trains/buses and mum works in lincoln). so i dont know what to do, i dont want to just give up, but i wouldnt want to let you down lincolnlady, so i dont know, im feeling a bit lost about what to do atm. Tho it would be brill if it worked out.

hi gems that would be fine by me if you wanted to just ride a few times a week i have been offered a loan by a lovely person on here but its just too far from where i live so wouldnt be able to get there everyday but sharing with you would be fine im not a pushy person so i would never expect you to do something you wasnt happy with they used to make you do things you didnt like at newland (not me thos as my aunty was the instructor) but mr baker used to be really horrible to some people if they made a simple mistake which we all do lol if you hear of a loan let me know and ill apply and you woulkd be welcome anytime to come down sarah xx

newrider.com