Riding holidays

quests_grace

colourful comedian
Feb 12, 2007
essex
hi guys! :)
well with this depressing winter weather am thinking ahead to the summer and planning a riding holiday! :D
not very clued up though so wondered if any of you know of any good ones abroad? (or any exceptional ones in the UK)
im just after something chilled, amazing scenery, horses and weather :D
thanks for any replies :)

Do you ever watch Country file in UK?

I saw they had this tract of land with trails in Wales where you can do days of beautiful hacks or one continuous one staying in B&B's along this network. They give you a room, hot dinner and tend to your horse - just like the old inns we all read about. Funny I was just remembering this for myself, half considering it. But I would have to do it alone as husband doesn't ride. :(

I've already booked my "summer" holiday for March I'm off to Finland on a riding holiday which also includes a husky safari, reindeer sledging, snow mobiling etc.

As you can guess it won't be nice and hot but it will have amazing scenery! :D

thanks for your replies :D
Lora, i too will be travelling alone as my family are completley non-horsey and i dont (yet) have another half! :eek:( even at the grand old age of 24! :rolleyes:
stassy that finland one sounds amazing!! wouldnt have thought to look there for riding holidays!
x

thanks for your replies :D
Lora, i too will be travelling alone as my family are completley non-horsey and i dont (yet) have another half! :eek:( x

I'll go through my downloaded country file episodes and see where that is. If I do decide to book it, I'll put info up here and see if any other lone NR folks want to come along.

I've been on riding holidays in brecon beacons and the scenary is amazing. brecon itself is a lovely town.
the place i went to, you can book day long trks, shorter treks, or treks that go on for as much as four days:) you can't beat brecon beacon scenary....and i'm not at all bias :rolleyes::p

i always loved the look of going to spain to do a riding holiday. france do alot of riding holidays too. also seen a fair few adverts for riding holidays in the carribean

Im doing exactly the same thing except i want something in the UK thats 100% tuition! NO HACKING! Ive been to Wheal Buller in cornwall before but only when i was younger on a childrens riding holiday, i may contact them about adult riding holidays........

We have just booked to go to Crete in June - Odysseia Stables & Country Hotel in Avdou. Read about it in Horse & Hound a while ago. Loads of things for OH and 9 year old son to do and I can ride a couple of times a day - the website is http://www.horseriding.gr

The prices are really reasonable, which is good as getting your own flights can sometimes be a bind. So I get to combine three things I love - horses, my family and Greece!

I've been on riding holidays in brecon beacons and the scenary is amazing. brecon itself is a lovely town.
the place i went to, you can book day long trks, shorter treks, or treks that go on for as much as four days:) you can't beat brecon beacon scenary....and i'm not at all bias :rolleyes::p

That *MUST* be the one I seen featured on countryfile. :) Thank you! I was trying ot look it up a while ago but gave up until I got home. hehehe

Spain - Fantastic Scenary, Wonderful Horses

Can really recommend June & Family. Check out this site it has everything including your own heated swimming pool and gas bbq. We have been several times now and count them amongst our friends such was the welcome we received from the word go. Cheap flights too!! (They are into natural horsemanship and horses work bitless - but I have never met a more happy herd of horses ever!).
www.cortijoloslobos.com. P'm me if you want any particular feedback, but I cannot praise this place highly enough. O...

just to add
there are LOADS of riding places down here in wales, not just in brecon beacons though (although scenary there is amazing) you could try pembrokshire too, but havent been down there much so wouldn't like to say if its any good or not.

as for the rain, abit of water never hurt anyone :D most of the treks will continue unless its unrideable weather. it's not as rainy as everyone makes out though :p

he he!! all these places!! where to choose?!?!?! :confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::D
thanks for all your replies! i will be sifting through the lot :D x

I quite like the rain now - didn't stop it being a fantastic experience. But as you ride 6+ hours per day you do need 'proper' waterproofs!

Free Rein ride over the Radnor hills and Cambrian mountains - it is my most favourite place on earth I think now, rain and all! :eek:

just to add
there are LOADS of riding places down here in wales, not just in brecon beacons though (although scenary there is amazing) you could try pembrokshire too, but havent been down there much so wouldn't like to say if its any good or not.

as for the rain, abit of water never hurt anyone :D most of the treks will continue unless its unrideable weather. it's not as rainy as everyone makes out though :p

newrider.com