Riding helmets

olivermas

Mar 3, 2020
Hi all. I have a daughter 10 y.o. I want to make a little present on her birthday. Anybody can advise a quality riding helmet?

I like the Charles Owen ones. They do lots for kids (I buy them for myself as they are VAT free and slightly cheaper for what I want looks wise). They do adult ones as well. But their kids ones come in a cute box as well. Not sure whereabouts you are? There are lots of online sellers on ebay if you aren't near a tack shop that stocks them.

You really do need to get a hat properly fitted if it's going to do it's job properly. Is there a tack shop you could take her to where she could try on a few different makes (shapes vary) and get it fitted? I bet she'd love a trip to a tack shop!

Yes you do really need to take your daughter and go to a tack shop and get advise and one fitted properly. Please do not buy one second hand either. You never know if theyve been dropped or knocked about or involved in an accident already.
She will probably grow out of it being only 10 and need another size up so i wouldnt go for the most expensive. Unless it was the best fit for her of course.

Reactions: tikkitti and Jessey
Yep echo the others they really do need to be tried on before buying, they are subtley different shapes and the only way to know if they are good is to put it on. Also agree never buy second hand, they can be very damaged internally and not show anything externally so the only way to be sure is to own it from new.

I found that they vary even in different models of the same make. I have a Gatehouse hat with a peak that I like and fits well and went to buy a gatehouse skull cap. The scull cap was incredibily uncomfortable so I ended up buying different make.

If your duaghter is riding at a riding school you need to ake sure that whatever you buy is ok for them.

I'd go with whatever your daughter feels comfy in, and is stable on her head. Yes, do check it's current RS standard. Some BSI KItemarked hats are still legal and safe, but not to a level for competition or riding schools.
And a word of warning - don't always believe fitting advice. I bought a new hat recently, and was measured for size by a qualified fitter. I was a bit surprised I was in a smaller size than my usual, but trusted the advice given. The hat I bought is too small, and gives me a bad headache after 20 minutes or so. An expensive lesson. So always err on the side of comfort!

Reactions: olivermas
newrider.com