Riding Hat

I think the best thing you can do is go down to your local tack shop and choose the one they say fits you best :D

Yes, I know... I guess the question is more what the difference is between the uper-expensive ones and the easier on the budget type hats...

I bought one of the more expensive ones the Gatehouse HS1 as it's passed more safety standards than any other skull cap - but if you just want a skull cap there is absolutely NO difference bertween the £30 charles owen skull and expensive champions (don't let those fancy vets fool you) but do get one fitted by a fitter.

Ditto the others about getting one fitted. I always buy cheap ones seeing as I'm clumsy and am always dropping it/whatever so I have to replace it often. Are you after a skull, or a velvet show hat?

Hi Tasel - I have the Charles Owen Showjumper type hat (can't remember which version, but its a couple of years old now and probably needs replacing!).

As a kid I had Champion hats, then as I grew the Charles Owen became much better fits.

Each maufacturer tend to fit better on different shaped heads - i.e; some are better suited to oval, whereas others to more rounded heads.

agree with try lots of different brands.

i have a charles owen shaped head (expensive shaped head :rolleyes:) so i prefer that brand.

i have a very old CO 'showing' hat (for general riding) and a new showjumper xp style showing hat (for 'posh' days!)

i would avoid buying from the net as you can never be sure if it has been damaged in transit or is faulty.

Looking for a Velvet Hat - I never cared about canging mine... and it's OLD!!! And I mean Really OLD. I wore the same hat as an 11 year-old (HINT: I have long since finished uni and have been working for quite some time). I am sure it no longer fits modern safety standards, and am getting a bit worried!!!!

But also pass on your suggestions regarding skulls please as I haven't made up my mind yet...

I've got a Charles Owen Showjumper xp and it's really nice. It's a lovely fit and that one's velvet.
I've also got a vented one. It's a GPA Speed Air and it's a great hat. Feather light. If I only had one hat I'd choose to have a vented one. The fit is different though as hubby bought me that one via the internet with the size of the Charles Owen hat I already had. I think I would need a full size smaller in the GPA as it's a bit loose.

I like the look of some of the modern type skulls (like some of the JTE and Troxel (?)), but I'm just being tight and don't want to have to buy multiple hats:- one for everyday and one for competitions. So I just have the CO showjumper - and considering I do everything with it, it still scrubs up well for shows. I do however have a skull from about 15 years ago that I use for everyday handling (like lunging, or clipping etc).

If you are looking for a skull type hat I recommendthe Charles Owen J3 skull.
Its a really good fit and very comfortable! It has a nice cushioned bit at the back that also supports your neck which I think is a good feature. Also has small air vents/holes which are a very useful thing in hot weather stops you looking like a tomato!
You get a free vented cover for it too which is good!
Hannah x

newrider.com