Riding/Hacking/Horse Share - Help Please!

1984mini

Sep 1, 2006
Farnborough, Hants
Hi :)

I am new to this forum, (sorry id I have posted this in the wrong forum.)

I am 22, I started riding lessons in Feb this year. Before that I had never been on a horse! I have weekly lessons at the moment & would love to gain extra riding, hacking. I can walk, trot, canter, but I have not done any jumping etc.
I have been looking through other websites, magazines etc but can't find a suitable horse to share. I am willing to help out with mucking out etc &/or make a small contribution.
This is a desperate plea, if anyone has a horse that I could help ride/look after please can you get in contact? As I'm not having any luck finding a horse:(

Many thanks
(I'm in Farnborough, Hampshire)

Hi :D i put an advert in the local freeads asking for a horse to share and 8 people rang! Now i ride spice 3 times a week and groom and muck out tommy, i really think you should try that

Hello and welcome:D

To be perfectly honest, I think most owners would look for more experience before offering their horse for loan/share. I know it's frustrating sometimes and you want more than just your weekly fix at a riding school, but I personally would prefer someone to have well over 1 year's experience, along with some evidence of them having done some kind of horsecare course before letting my girl go out on share.

I would suggest you carry on with your lessons for at least the winter, book as many hacks out on as many different horses as you can, and look into doing the BHS Horse Owners Certificate, or something similar and then look for something next summer maybe.

Hope this isn't discouraging you - please stick around - for a start you'll learn heaps here, and we're always keen to support and encourage new riders.:D

I have just got a share having been having lessons for a year or so. Although to be honest I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting someone with more experience than me. But I just kept looking and eventually someone who didn't mind a novice, but wanted an adult rather than a teenager, and so I got lucky!
However, I do agree with Bexj. I took a stable management course and did lots of hacks out as well as regular lessons. Even though I am still a complete novice - you can find various embarrasing posts on here attesting to my ignorance - the stable management lessons in particular have definitely helped!
Good luck

Hi

Thanks for your replies. I will probably look into doing a course to learn more about horses. I already have a diploma in animal care, & I used to be a vet nurse, so I will probably see if my old college does an evening/home study horsey course!
I will also keep an eye out for local shares incase something comes up.
:)

I had just had 4 months of properly riding again when I found my share,so there you go you dont need that much experience,well not in my case anyway,it depends on what your wanting from a share too,are you wanting just to hack etc....

I started to share Candy in February this year,I've had weekly lessons on her so we could get used to each other,everythings still going well with her,just started to jump her,we're having a ball.

Try looking on horses2000,find the link through Google,this is where I found mine.

Or there's Horsemart

Good luck

Hi there, you could try posting a wanted ad on my site (free), the address is in my signature. Good luck with finding a share. Perhaps you could offer to help out at your riding school to help gain some experience with looking after horses, mucking out etc :)

bexj said:
and look into doing the BHS Horse Owners Certificate, or something similar and then look for something next summer maybe.
What do you do on this? I think there are horseowners level 1-3 courses at my stables but I don't know what this covers. Does it involve practical experience and extra learning or tests?
I would love to share a horse so that I can ride a few times a week but again not very exerienced so should wait probably unless I find someone understanding to teach me. A course sounds like a good idea.

Having exactly the same problem!!
My last horse share, (when I was 10) was through a friend of a friend of a friend....since I don't have those kinds of friends any more, I don't hold out much hope but the plan is to head to the local tack shop, soon, and stick and ad up, and put an ad on the local free paper. hopefully it'll come to something!

Meanwhile, stick at the lessons - each one means you're a little more experienced, and a little bit closer!!

newrider.com