Riding clothing...

LexxLizz

Dec 11, 2011
This might be in the wrong place:
I was just wondering if anyone can suggest to me a reasonably priced pair of WARM, COMFY riding boots?
In this weather my wellies and/or jodh boots just aren't keeping my tootsies warm no matter how many pairs of socks I chuck on!
Also, riding jackets/waterproofs/coats which are warm but lightweight. Again, reasonably priced?

I don't mind paying that little bit more so long as they do the job :smile:

I've recently purchased a set of Mark Todd Cook Winter riding boots...they have been fab, keeping my toes warm and cost £50.

For yard boots I def recommend Muck Co muckers, they are fab, had them three years now and still no signs of wear :)

Riding coat wise, I still live my Just Togs winter coat which I bought last year for only £30, it's been fab, keeps me dry and warm and is designed to be ridden in :)

Sorry to hijack, but on a simelar theme can anyone recomend long riding boots with toe protection that don't cost more than my annual holiday ie not equitech? OH is throwing a wiggy looking at my bruised big toe. (not Cracker, someone elses hoss)

Also I have Tesco heavy duty jods, nice and thick and quite warm, about £18 I think, if its really cold I bung on a pair of leggings underneath (sexy) and apparently Asda are doing thermal undies at a very reasonable cost according to my mum who offered me them for Christmas.

I wear thermals - get yourself a pair of heat hugger socks.
I struggle with keeping my butt warm. Doesn't matter that i wear thermal trousers underneath, I still get very cold back there - any suggestions - underwear, outerwear, longer jackets?!

Another vote here for Muck Boots, neoprene lined and do keep your feet warm.

As for clothing, i have some Mark Todd fleece lined water proof trousers .... and i`ve just recently bought an all in one laydees ski suit, and boy that has done the trick keeping me warm ... love it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNWT-New-..._Snowboarding_Clothing_LE&hash=item3a6d012c0d

and my daft hat:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250942916002?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Might look a sight to behold but by heck i`m warm :biggrin:

Thanks everyone! I will look into the Muck co Muckers :D :D

And Juliecwuk I have no idea how you're found all of those bargains!! I can't find a pair of ANYTHING Mark Todd Cook for under £70! I need to be a better bargain hunter methinks! :happy:

Daisysp8, you did make me laugh :D who care's if you're warm!!!!

Daisysp8, you did make me laugh :D who care's if you're warm!!!!

:giggle:

Well thats is isn`t it, i just detest being cold lol .... There a few horsey folk i know who are now are getting into the ski gear for horsey winters .... Have a look on ebay for ski trousers and jackets :wink: ... warm and water proof and you can pick up second hand fairly cheaply.

I have a pair of ariat windermeres & am yet to suffer from cold toes thus year (and I have horrific circulation).

I'm wearing legging underneath my jods these days (cheapies from primark) and have a pair of salopettes I bought off eBay for £1 in summer for when the snow comes. I also have a pair of (shires maybe) overtrousers for riding in, they have a suede bum so stick you to the saddle and feel like you are wearing sleepingbags for your legs!

Jacket wise, I Have a cosy horsewear jacket, but if I was to buy something now I would get a ski jacket off eBay or from decathlon. I also fancy a big warm puffa type jacket that goes over my bum for yard work. Equestrian brands seem to be able to add £20 on any normal jacket, and who cares what it looks like, it's only gong to get covered in mud, slobbers, poo......the list goes on!

I love my Dublin Pinnacles and have toasty feet.

My muck boots were reat (and I rode in them too :redcarded::redface:) until they split on the ankle. Within the first year, tut tut

I adore my muck boots (they are pink!) - they are also the ONLY boots that will fit over my tree trunks!

KV unfortunately yes they are that price! Me and OH have a set and honestly wouldn't change them. They wear well and last!!

I bought muck boots off ebay, second hand but hardly used - cost me £25. Love them - though the grip on them is PANTS.

I wear them with a ski suit (kids from Decathlon last winter!!). I sometimes need a hat, and obv have gloves on - but I usually just wear my PJs under the ski suit - no need for layering :D

I have the wellies, the riding boots seem to have a better grip, but my boots on rubber mats are rubbish.

OH and I are have money to buy stuff - but older and prone to cold.

9 years ago in my first winter of hacking, our saddler recommended me their winter best seller - MOUNTAIN HORSE RIDER CLASSIC - hard toe, lace up, lined, and advised me to wear with them 2 pairs of socks - thin thermal and over them traditonal thick wool.

All proved so satisfactory both for winter yard work and riding that last year I kitted out OH just the same.

I would add however that leading a horse on ice or icy roads we need to take care in any of my boots. I dont even know if it is possible to make a boot with a sole which is safe to ride in (wont catch in stirrup) but will catch and grip on snow and ice.

I loved my Mountain Horse High Riders.. Warm and comfy :)

My favourite footwear are my Muckboots though! I love them :D
I had a pair of the Tays that lasted me nearly 6 years, and that was constant wear aswell. I have a pair of Derwents now that I got last year, and I found that the grips on them are alot better than the grips on the Tays.

Hope you find a pair that you like :)

YAY! There's a local (same country!!) stockist!

But damn!! Are they really £66 per pair!? That's what they are out here! :eek: That's for the 'Tay' boots. Can't see the other sites, internet is too rubbish!
Yup, that's about the going rate BUT when you get them you'll understand why they are worth EVERY penny!

I had been raving about Muck Boots for yonks and our local farm store started selling the Esks in OH's size so I made him try a pair on so he could understand why I went on about them. He walked around and his face was incredulous "It's like walking on air..." he proclaimed :giggle:

I wear thermals - get yourself a pair of heat hugger socks.
I struggle with keeping my butt warm. Doesn't matter that i wear thermal trousers underneath, I still get very cold back there - any suggestions - underwear, outerwear, longer jackets?!

Dublin thermal overtrousers with full seat for riding. Currently reduce to £25 on Rideaway :wink:

newrider.com