Riding Clothing for Winter

Crazy Mare

Sep 9, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi :)

This winter will be my first one in the saddle and I was wondering what clothing I should be wearing to ensure that I stay as warm and dry as possible whilst riding.

Any suggestions?

Luv

CM x

for warm legs get some thick cords, just togs are my favourite although all cords are warm.

For dry legs get splash repellent jodphurs (google the name and the site'll come up !), they are fantastic.

I make sure my feet are warm, and make sure I have a wooly hat for when I'm not riding and then everything else sort of stays warm.

Also layer the tops too and have a toasty waterproof jacket this year after my last one started leaking last year.

You might need a water proof coat! and prehaps some full waterproof chaps (though i've never had any yet but I bet it saves washing jodpurs when they get splashed!!!) LOTS of socks... My feet are always freezing... gloves... lots of layers that you can take of if you get warmer... thats the general sort of thing! :D

Thank you all for your suggestions I feel some horsey shopping coming on :D

A few of you guys have mentioned wearing layers. This makes perfect sense to me as layers keep you warm and can be removed as you get warmer.

The only thing I was wondering is what do you do with the clothes that you've taken off? Particularly if you're out on a hack and there is no one on the ground that you can give them to.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question

CM x

You can wrap the tops you take off around your waist. Me, I just tend to put up with it when riding, or remove the layers before I ride as I know I heat up and then put them back on when I'm off.

overtrousers or chaps?

Is it better to wear overtrousers or waterproof chaps while riding when wet?

I think water proof chaps are better because water proof overtrousers, I find, can adversly affect your contact with the saddle. I just bought a pair of wax cotten chaps, but I am happy to say I have not needed them yet.

The other thing for winter I think is a must is a good pair of gloves, I hate cold fingers :mad:

Crazy Mare said:
Hi :)

This winter will be my first one in the saddle and I was wondering what clothing I should be wearing to ensure that I stay as warm and dry as possible whilst riding.

Any suggestions?

Luv

CM x

Lots of thin layers with wool next to the skin if you can deal with it. Cotton t shirts and sweatshirts aren't really suitable as they don't retain the heat. However, remember that a horse is a very effective central heating system when you are on it. His warmth transfers to you. Layers mean you can take some of them of or put them on according to conditions. I have two fine wool vests with elbow length sleeves (c. 1946 de-mob issue!) and I wear one of these with an M&S fine lambswool polo neck jumper, then a waistcoat (fleece or quilted) then a fleece jacket if necessary and a quilt lined waterproof jacket. Thick wool socks and if necessary a pair of padded waterproof ski trousers but I take these off to ride. Thick tights under my breeches help as well. Some people swear by Damart thermal undies but I don't find them as warm as wool.

Well it's cold in them thar hills! I have been known to wear up to 7 layers! And yes, it is a b*gger when you want to go to the loo!

Crazy Mare said:
Thank you all for your suggestions I feel some horsey shopping coming on :D

A few of you guys have mentioned wearing layers. This makes perfect sense to me as layers keep you warm and can be removed as you get warmer.

The only thing I was wondering is what do you do with the clothes that you've taken off? Particularly if you're out on a hack and there is no one on the ground that you can give them to.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question

CM x

You can get lightweight bags to attach to the D rings at the nearside rear of the saddle (that's what they're for if you didn't already know) which you can stuff a jumper into.(Mine's a Robinsons "Snack and Mac" bag)

(Edit) Oops, I think I might have meant the off-side!

Last edited:
DanGregory said:
no.1 on my shopping list is a Driza-Bone waxed riding Coat. Calf length and dry!

They are also very heavy! I ditched mine as I found it restricted my movement. Having said that I lust after an old-fashioned fawn rubberised cotton riding mac! (Totally irrational this, for the above reasons! :eek: )

Last edited:
raingodz said:
Being a former climber I have a very nice North Face gortex coat, not the usual equestrian brnad I know but very dry.

That reminds me of a discussion with my dentist - he told me off for riding because it's dangerous and provides him with a good income in fitting crowns on broken teeth.... It then came out that he was a climber. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :D

I know what you mean, I gave up climbing because I had a bad accident that resulted in me not being able to walk unaided for six months and now, five years later, I've taken up riding (again)... some people never learn. But it's not as far to fall from the top of a horse as it is from the top of a mountain :eek: so thats OK then!

sidesaddlelady1 said:
You can get lightweight bags to attach to the D rings at the nearside rear of the saddle (that's what they're for if you didn't already know) which you can stuff a jumper into.(Mine's a Robinsons "Snack and Mac" bag)

(Edit) Oops, I think I might have meant the off-side!

Ahh, I didn't know that :eek: Something well worth looking into I think.

Also, I now understand why you prefer to ride wearing wool. On Thursday instead of changing into my usual cotton sweater I rode out in my lambswool jumper I had been wearing all day for work and I really did stay so much warmer.

newrider.com