Riding boots

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
By the time The Precious One had eaten his haylage & then had a lie down - amazing how my heading to the tack room sends him flat out
eyesroll.png
- it was horribly humid and warm, brushing the shavings off him had my clothes sticking to me
sad.png
. Since we were only going for an amble round the village as a token gesture towards exercise I thought I'd just put on short boots & no chaps. Well I'm amazed at how much difference that made, and while Little Un may have thought it was positive I didn't.

Within a couple of minutes I was reminded of problem 1 - leathers pinch. Problem 2 came shortly after, slightly damp lower legs where he sweats under them - yuk. Problem 3 appeared in trot, it appears chaps or long boots keep my leg more secure & so allow me a better chance at controlling the pace - someone thought it was a great chance & I'm very grateful not to have seen my farrier or any of my vets while we were trotting the high street!!!!!! He thought it was a hoot, and a couple of glances in shop windows as we shot past would suggest a that while his toes are an utter mess inside he still knows how to flash them about lol. Why different legwear should make so much difference is beyond me, but it did & he obviously felt it too because instead of steadying when checked he just tried to latch onto the rein & bulldoze through. He's funny though, he was flying along then heard a car & shot into a gap and slammed the anchors on - even left to his own devices he's politer than some road users!

It does which is why I have tweaked mine. Also loving the kerrits because those are keeping me nice and cool.
Clipping mine tomorrow because she's sluggish with this abnormal heat.

If the weather doesn't break I can see me doing the same before too long, he's growing his winter coat in & I don't know how long it'll be before he's too fluffy to cope.

I ride differently depending on footwear. I don't feel as safe and secure in jodh boots - and yeah pinched legs if not wearing chaps are awful! I tend to just stick to MH long ones or Ariat long boots.

newrider.com