Riding Bareback

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I'd love to ride Rafi bareback and having just read in another thread how good it is for your balance I feel inspired.

However, I've always been led to believe that bareback can be bad for a young horse's back so have been put off trying it (not because I'm chicken of course!)

I've sat and walked a few paces bareback on Rafi and he seemed a little bit anxious, so not sure if he just didn't like the feel, didn't know what was going on, or it was actually hurting.

Do you think it's ok to ride a rising 5 year old bareback? (I weigh about 9 and a half stone btw). Could it actually strengthen his back muscles if I build it up slowly?

I plan my first sit on Tilley to be bareback, but i have the best friend pad.

That is more comfortable for both of us.

If you are worried you will be tense and the horse will pick that up.

I don't know the answer to your question hun as I know nothing about youngsters, but, I too use a best friend bareback pad - definately more comfy and if Rafi is anything like Oscar will give you a bit more grip.

I love riding sonny back to the field bareback, he works really nicely & feels like he is more comfortable himself. The only trouble is he is 17hh with high withers and I end up halfwaf down his back!:giggle:

Maybe I should try a bareback pad.:wink:

Can we clarify?
Riding with a bareback pad is not "riding bare back". It is riding on a felt pad.

I go to an RS where students are allowed to ride bareback. But only some clients do this and only on some suitable horses. It all depends on the physical build of both horse and rider, their physical combination, and not on the age of the horse. A very slim athletic owner would not ride bareback on a lithe sinewy throughbread as neither has the padding to protect their bones.

A bareback pad is used in our school for some riders, e.g. RDA but should not be confused with riding bareback. It's merit is that it is less slippery than a naked horse. But it is the shape of the smooth horse that allows your legs to hang slightly forward in the natural bareback position behind the horse's shoulders.
The best book I know on riding bareback -by Gawana Pony Boy - is critical of bareback pads. A pad doesnt spread the weight on the horse's back as well as a saddle, and cant be properly secured. So the rider is balancing the pad on the horse rather than balancing him or herself.

The aim of riding bareback (in the context of RS lesons) is to improve your balance and straightness on the horse, yes - but it is also an aid to direct feel and communication. Your bottom, thighs and calves rest directly on the horse.
You can feel the horse's movement much more clearly as you ride. So when you return to using a saddle, you are better sensitised to the foot movement and know when to time your cue. And the horse can feel a bareback rider directly too, so rider's cues while riding bareback need to be reduced accordingly.
And, yes, a horse not used to the direct feel of a rider on its back will need to be accustomed to it and taught to enjoy it too.
I know nothing about using bareback to train horses or strengthen them. We do it for our own good and our own pleasure.

When using saddles, I am for treed saddles - on anatomical grounds - but these days there is also concern about how weight is distributed on the horse's back. I havent read anything academic on what happens bareback but the feel you get riding bare back is that the rider's weight is more widely distributed than in a saddle? It enables you to give a horse repite from wearing a girth - but it also restricts you to strict classical riding from the days when there were no stirrups.

Can we clarify?
Riding with a bareback pad is not "riding bare back". It is riding on a felt pad.

I go to an RS where students are allowed to ride bareback. But only some clients do this and only on some suitable horses. It all depends on the physical build of both horse and rider, their physical combination, and not on the age of the horse. A very slim athletic owner would not ride bareback on a lithe sinewy throughbread as neither has the padding to protect their bones.

A bareback pad is used in our school for some riders, e.g. RDA but should not be confused with riding bareback. It's merit is that it is less slippery than a naked horse. But it is the shape of the smooth horse that allows your legs to hang slightly forward in the natural bareback position behind the horse's shoulders.

Being a slim person i use a pad for the reason you have mentioned, so what if it's not called bareback, that's just picking hairs tbh. If i use it don't use it, i see no difference, except if i'm hacking for three miles i'll use it.
I have yet to ride on a bareback pad that alters how i would ride if were without it. I don't know what pads your school has but trust me mine are thin and do not take my leg away or my thigh, i also have the natural position behind the horses shoulders. They are purely for comfort, particulary if i am jumping.

ETA

http://www.examiner.com/pet-product...nce-contact-and-communication-with-your-horse

The Indians used something similiar to this, if it was good enough for them with the hours they rode it's good enough for me.

Last edited:
newrider.com