riding and roadsafety exam - advice/tips

lil chicken

Apr 10, 2009
sunny nottinghamshire :)
My first horse orientated exam :eek::eek::eek: only two weeks away and already have butterflies! :eek: It will just be my luck that a bike will whizz up behind us, Toby will spook and I will go flying into the ditch!

I was just wondering has anyone else taken their exam? has anyone got any tips for me? (I have been reading the highway code and the riding and roadsafety book and am going to be having 8 hours training the week after next)

Done forget Hi Viz boots for pony

When indicating keep your hand flat

Look everywhere, all the time

Don't forget to show trot when out on the road (ooopsie!!!)

Study your highway code!!!

When I did mine, so many people failed on theory and the simulated course! Good luck you will be fine!

You can never look behind you often enough. - I know someone who failed due to not looking behind enough.

Ensure you know your signs. The first Q is where they hold up a sign and you state what it is. The rest were multiple choice Q's.

My pony had never seen a simulated route before and was an angel! Try to keep yourself relaxed and try not to worry!!

With regards to trotting - ensure you show it BUT do not trot around corners. Try to walk the route beforehand and plan where to trot etc (although this may NOT work as you may end up with a car behind you).

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. It is straightforward though.

Good luck.

Last edited:
get to the exam centre in plenty of time and if there is anything you are unsure of ask the examiners. I had been told by 2 different trainers 2 different ways of signaling. I knew which I felt was right so asked the examoners before the exam and they clarified forme. They were really nice about it all.

Also if something goes wrong (horse backing away and reared at junction), just deal with it and carry on. I passed as I dealt with it and carried on fine. Luckily no vehicles so that helped.

Finally study the theory until you know it backwards as you have to pass that bit before carrying on with the exam. Also know a bit about tacking up and checking tack for riding out. Just common sense stuff as one examiner asked us all questions, whilst the other marked the theory. Just simple things like stirrups wide enough, all tack in good condition, letting people know route etc.

When I done min e we got a sheet of paper with questions on road safety and signs, you had to pass this to be allowed to continue to the road simulater test.

You got a drawing to studying and clear instruction from the examiner what to do.
Again you had to pass this to contiue on the road test.

The road test was not very long and pretty basic (what amazed me was a lass indicataed right and turned left adn still passed, examiner said she was passed for that as there was not a car behind her a the time :confused:)

we used the riding schools horses and only had to wear a reflective tabbard which was provided.

Aboce all just relax and swot up on the highway code

Hi, I took my road safety test 2 years ago. It's quite a long day but it's really good fun. I loved it.

The exam was taken in 3 stages.

First - The theory, not many questions & seriously easy peasy so don't worry too much about that, just know your answers. (10 mins tops)

Second - Asimulated road test in a field, all marked out with cones & parked cars etc. (About 5 minutes) Watch out for hand signals, check over your shoulder before evrything you move around, pass or over. Pay attention to the traffic lights too.

Third - The road test, again fairly short & be very aware of checking the traffic & hand signals. Look, put your arm out & look again.

The horse i was on that day was a friends event horse who thought she was at a competition, she was very 'hot' bouncing around, i could barely sit to her for all the bouncing & snorting, she spooked at everything :D & on the road test she was a heller, the examiner actually shouted at me to just cross the damn road!! I was looking to turn right but had an coming car so i waited as you should but in this case the car asked me to cross first & i hesitated as that could of been a fail for pulling out in front. After the exam she said i rode well & i passed! Some of the things people did yet still passed amazes me!
The examiners are really nice so don't worry & lot's of luck. ;)

newrider.com