Riding and road safety test

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
I have signed up to do my riding and road safety test in May. Yikes! :frown:

Has anybody here done it and can anyone tell me what I'm letting myself in for?! The whole 'exam' part of it scares the cr*p out of me, considering I failed my driving test 4 times :redface: I'm not overly confident! But think it would be worth it in the long run if I do pass it. I am thinking of loaning in the future and my RI thinks it would be good for me to have this under my belt.

I wouldnt say it looked difficult but it's easy to say that when you're not the one taking part and arent full of nerves!

If it's something that you want to do, then def go for it - only one or two failed and I think the important thing is to really over egg the looking at junstions etc part of the test - just the same when you would have on your driving test and you looked in the mirror - you want the examiner to see that you're looking - does this make sense?

I havent seen the written part of the test though, but i dont remember anyone saying it was difficult - pray for a day that's not windy as if you're at a junction and your horse trys to turn his bum into the wind - it's a automatic fail.

Thanks, yes that makes sense. I will keep my fingers well crossed for good weather.

I think the whole knowing what to do on the road bit should be ok, it's having to control a horse at the same time that worries me, especially when you are a bag of nerves! I was literally shaking like a leaf at my (numerous!) driving tests and that can't be helpful while on horseback and attempting to be 'in control'.

The first part of the ridden test in done in the field with pretend roads, signs, give way markers etc. If you pass this it's only then that you're allowed to take the next part of the test which is out on the road.

Am sure you'll be fine.

I did mine when I was about 12 so can't remember what was needed of me, and it will have changed a lot so can't help sorry. Just wanted to say good luck, you should be fine. :) I really think every rider should have to do the test before being allowed to ride on the roads alone, same as cars.

I did mine years ago in Pony Club, but the test isn't that hard, it's just remembering a few facts.
The riding part was interesting, but most of it was just common sense, we did ours in a field and on;y had to trot up a quiet lane, turn around and come back :giggle:

Thank you everyone, I'm sure it will be fine, and I agree that most of it will be common sense. I think I am more scared that I will actually be getting tested! :redface:

MissMare - good point about everyone doing it before they can ride on roads. For me I think I will feel far safer once I have done it...even if I dont pass, at least I will be educated in it.

I am one of those who did the course - both theory and riding. I do think it is useful - purely in a techinical sense to know where one should be positioned on the road when riding e.g,. at roundabouts though I note our local mounted police dont seem to know the rules!

I also happen to think that even though one may know the rules in the Highway Code, when one is on a horse in traffic, or going past road works, one does have to use common sense and be flexible.

Our RS was being rebuilt at the time and they were drilling a hole (pneumatic drill) by the school. The RI was very cross that I let the pony stop and have a look and then rode him on. Apparently there was a time limit for riding the circuit! I dont do time limits with horses; I am slow.

The trouble with tests is that they are marked according to strict rules. One needs to be prepared by an RI who knows the rules and the details. Take the test, particularly if you are in a group, but provided you have studied and understood the course, dont be depressed if you fail - it doesnt necessarily mean you are a bad rider.

The reason I didnt take the test was that it required one to dismount from both sides of the horse. I need to dismount with a foot in the stirrup and the RI said that wasnt allowed. I guess she wanted a certain 100% pass rate.

However, if you do have physical limitations, write and tell the BHS. The BHS wrote to me that it was rubbish that I couldnt take the test - they make allowances, and they encouraged me to go to another exam centre.

I didnt do that - but as a car driver it seems to me sensible that all road users should be trained to ride safely. If you are planning to loan or share a horse, even way in the future, it is a good thing to do. In those days I was a riding school rider but it showed me the right way to hack alone. I know what I am doing and, if you do the course and take your test, it will give you confidence too.

I did mine in pony club too. The exam bit was a doddle! it was the ridden bit governed by stuffy BHS rules that caught me out and i failed that part :rolleyes: i didn't know that i would fail for leaving my pony stood without having a hand on the reins to run up the stirrups. He was 27 after all and not going anywhere fast...!! we did a mock road set up then a real road ride with the assessors following. They got huffy about something else minor. Bit of a joke if you ask me!!

Tbh, i felt it a bit of a waste of my time. Knowing the theory is good but i only did it so i could do my PC C test.

I did mine in pony club too. The exam bit was a doddle! it was the ridden bit governed by stuffy BHS rules that caught me out and i failed that part :rolleyes: i didn't know that i would fail for leaving my pony stood without having a hand on the reins to run up the stirrups. He was 27 after all and not going anywhere fast...!! we did a mock road set up then a real road ride with the assessors following. They got huffy about something else minor. Bit of a joke if you ask me!!

Tbh, i felt it a bit of a waste of my time. Knowing the theory is good but i only did it so i could do my PC C test.

I did mine 2 years ago, and this is how I felt! Complete and utter shambles - they forgot to tell us that we need to wear show gear; me doing mine whilst away didn't have mine, so had to borrow my old RI's husband's friends! Also, one horse would go up the road on it's own whilst another came down so there was napping all over the place. My mare reared and went out infront of a van because of this and the girl (older than me - who broke her in) was riding her as we had to share she had a panic attack, so we decided it was sensible to swap onto another horse. When the BHS examiners found out they went mental saying we needed to have a stronger bit blah blah blah so we had to do it on Honey - however dangerous she was. I did get to 'follow' another horse some distance away, so eventually I did pass. I gained very little from it, and thought the examiners need to poke their noses out! Telling me how to ride my horse that they'd only just met! And saying her feet were bad - to be fair - she did have a chip in her hoof, but being 2.5 hours away from home I doubt my farrier would have come out!

Anyways, slight rant over! It was very poorly done when I did it, and I wouldn't take another BHS exam.

I think people tend not to take it very seriously and fail on silly things! If you do study the book and practice riding the exercises, basically a rough shoulder in past 'scary' object, dismount, lead past object and remount on offside, think like driving test..check signal check then all should be well!

I took mine years ago at a friends RS on one of her cobs as I didn't trust mine in heavy traffic..her parting shot as I rode out of her gate was 'watch out for lorries he not brilliant'....Guess what I met as soon as we turned onto the main road...a rattling car transporter..cue lots of sideways canter....still passed thank goodness!!!

newrider.com