Riders with Hypermobility?

Hi I was suprised to see you were advised to keep away from pilates. My physio said it was the best excercise for my hypermobility syndrome but to be very careful of instructor's qualifications and make sure they know I have it. I have been to a few classes and instructor makes sure to tell me what is not suitable for me. I was told to avoid yoga though.
Does your nhs region not provide insoles? I get mine free. Again not my GP but my physio fixed this up for me. I just go along now with my little plastercast feet when I need new ones. Oh and I was advised to get a wobble board. Have not got round to it yet but it does look fun!

Daughter has E.D.S started riding last year and has now just bought her first horse. The exercise she gets from being at stables, grooming riding etc, are more beneficial to her than any physio. Her consultant said she is at the extreme end with her hypermobility. All hospital phsysios refused to work with her, she would dislocate just by looking at something the wrong way.Having her own horse now gives her a purpose to get up in the morning. She went through being quite depressed as she learnt to cope with her illness. She is 22 now and was only diagnosed by prof Bird in Leeds4 years ago. She has had capsuler shift operations on both shoulders, but with the poor healing that goes with E.D.S the ops were both unsuccessful, both shoulders are out of joint all the time. Had her right ankle fused Jan 2006 again spent many weeks in hospital after op with poor healing/infections.But hey she is walking again. She rides using flexi stirrups which she swears by. Grooming Addie helps keep what little strength she has in her shoulders. She is in pain 24/7 but like you all know life can be a Bitch at times. She just grits her teeth, doesn't complain and is thoroughly enjoying being a horse owner. Hats off to all of you who live everday with the pain of E.D.S or Hypermobility

Hi I was suprised to see you were advised to keep away from pilates. My physio said it was the best excercise for my hypermobility syndrome but to be very careful of instructor's qualifications and make sure they know I have it. I have been to a few classes and instructor makes sure to tell me what is not suitable for me. I was told to avoid yoga though.
Does your nhs region not provide insoles? I get mine free. Again not my GP but my physio fixed this up for me. I just go along now with my little plastercast feet when I need new ones. Oh and I was advised to get a wobble board. Have not got round to it yet but it does look fun!

I was told Pilates was good too - so long as you declare it to the instructor.

I have lost my feet, and need to find them as i need some more insoles soon. :eek:

I have this too,and have had most problems with my knees. I have found that riding helps as strengthened up my muscles. Cycling seems to be the worst activity for me. I have got better with age (now 26), as when i was about 13/14 I kept dislocating ans was permenantly taped up to stop my knee caps slipping out, now i am loads better!

When i informed my Pilates instructor she was really great and is really careful that i don't overstretch and then pull my ligaments, which i know i have a tendency to do. I'm sure that any instructor worth their salt who knows anatomy should be able to work around the hypermobility.

Out of interest...this site is helpful www.hypermobility.org

Last edited:
Joints Hypermobility. My story of recovery.

Hi!
I am familiar with these symptoms.
This is the connective tissue disease.
It is called “Joints Hypermobility”.
The joints sore, they become crunchy, soft tissue may ache…
The ligaments are stretched.
Cartilage tissue wears out fast.
I published treatment regimens.
There is information regarding alternative medicine preparations as well.
I’ll tell what can help you!
This is my story of recovery -

newrider.com