Rider Safety

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
This morning we have a hard frost so I know the lane outside our yard will be slippery particularly on the hill where it won't defrost till late morning.

So I see a horse being trotted up the hill,I rode there yesterday in less frozen conditions, and it was ok, but I didn't even bother thinking of going out this morning as I know the road will be icy. The rider is wearing a very old yellow high viz, dark clothes, riding a dark horse, which blends perfectly into the roadway.

I am watching it trot up the hill about 50 yards from me and I can hardly see it and I have floodlights on the yard.

I never go out unless I am festooned in pink, my vet who does calls locally comments that she can see me at 100 yards as we are pink! I have a pink hat with high viz flashing lights, neck strap, tabard and in cold weather if buddy is clipped out an exercise sheet.

I just don't understand why folks take such risks with their so called loved horses. It's dangerous enough on the roads you really need to make a bit more effort to at least give motorists a chance of seeing you.

@diplomaticandtactful I'm completely with you. I think it should be law that riders have at least a hiviz tabard if riding on the roads, how can we expect drivers to give us the space & reduced speed we want if we don't give them a chance to see us? I also won't ride if the roads are likely to be icy, it's not just that I worry about my horse keeping his footing. I also worry about a driver breaking or manoeuvring & losing control of his car.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Have to admit that it’s a pet hate of mine
@diplomaticandtactful I'm completely with you. I think it should be law that riders have at least a hiviz tabard if riding on the roads, how can we expect drivers to give us the space & reduced speed we want if we don't give them a chance to see us? I also won't ride if the roads are likely to be icy, it's not just that I worry about my horse keeping his footing. I also worry about a driver breaking or manoeuvring & losing control of his car.
Exactly why I won't ride on icy roads, I worry far too much about drivers sliding out if control, easily done on ice or snow.
Also agree re hi viz, we always ride out with lights front and back, hi viz, reflective material, both Belle and myself, people used to say I looked a bit silly, or did I really need all that. My answer, yes, I value both my own and my horses lives, so anything I can do to help make us visible I will.
To be fair, I've had loads of comments about our new tail lights, not just from other horsey folk but people in vehicles have said ' love your lights, could see you from way back' and quite a few 'thank yous' as well.

We have sometimes gone out and it was fine, then Buddy says no, I get off and find we have hit a bit where it is slippy, so we walk home gingerly. I had hoped to ride today but the weather forecast suggests no chance.

Have to admit that it’s a pet hate of mine

Exactly why I won't ride on icy roads, I worry far too much about drivers sliding out if control, easily done on ice or snow.
Also agree re hi viz, we always ride out with lights front and back, hi viz, reflective material, both Belle and myself, people used to say I looked a bit silly, or did I really need all that. My answer, yes, I value both my own and my horses lives, so anything I can do to help make us visible I will.
To be fair, I've had loads of comments about our new tail lights, not just from other horsey folk but people in vehicles have said ' love your lights, could see you from way back' and quite a few 'thank yous' as well.

what lights do you use as I may add them to our early am repertoire

@diplomaticandtactful cycle lights that clip on attach well to the top of boots or hat bands. They usually have a flashing mode which I think is more eye catching than a steady light & have the advantage of being cheap :)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
thanks for this, anyone used the Equisafety pink jackets, Aspen range? Any good? I have a tabard but thinking of getting a jacket and keeping it just for riding out.

thanks for this, anyone used the Equisafety pink jackets, Aspen range? Any good? I have a tabard but thinking of getting a jacket and keeping it just for riding out.

Nope, I use Aldi cycling jackets in yellow, (cheap and cheerful) but I also have Rockfish Rider pink stuff, I tend to mostly use the yellow now though, on our lanes it just seems more visible.

thanks the tail lites would not stay on buddy as he has a very bushy tail and I think they would just slip down if wearing tail protection in horse box is anything to go by
Belles tail is thick, very thick actually and they don’t budge on her, every other tail light I’ve tried either slides down or I simple can’t fasten them because they are just not big enough to go around her tail, but these work a treat, expensive though if they don’t fit, I’m very lucky as they were a present from Mr KR.

newrider.com