Rider Insurance - who, where?

Not E&L or any company underwritten by them, they are notorious for not paying out or being very difficult about it. I did look for rider injury insurance back in October/November and found a few companies that pay you if you end up in hospital or injured short term but I never got around to taking out the insurance before I fell off and was injured :rolleyes: this was the post http://www.newrider.com/threads/rider-only-insurance-reccomendations.246816/#post-2994396 Some insurance doesn't cover you for temporary injury only permanent so definitely read the small print :) If you are looking for 3rd party insurance cover then the BHS gold membership does include that. I use SEIB for all other horse related insurance but they only cover riders for permanent injury.

Bhs gold members has rider insurance included I think, and as above poster says stay clear of the said particular company. I insure through AM trust also known as equicover ( not animal friends) and they have good reviews and are efficient. x

Be careful about rider only insurance. I have it through BHS. I got membership for that purpose and got it for OH too. I thought that if we were hacking on public roads we needed some insurance just as if we were driving a car.
But that doesnt mean that I actually need it nor could ever use it. It is insurance of last resort for 3rd party liability when riding a horse (usually one that doesnt belong to you). Last resort means that if you have personal liability insurance with your Home Insurance Policy, that policy is the one you have to claim on first. If one is riding a horse belonging to a riding school, their insurance covers the horses and probably clients too.
If you are sharing a horse, your cover will depend on it being a genuine share where you contribute to the care and upkeep of a horse - it is not valid if you hire a horse per hour.

Be careful about rider only insurance. I have it through BHS. I got membership for that purpose and got it for OH too. I thought that if we were hacking on public roads we needed some insurance just as if we were driving a car.
But that doesnt mean that I actually need it nor could ever use it. It is insurance of last resort for 3rd party liability when riding a horse (usually one that doesnt belong to you). Last resort means that if you have personal liability insurance with your Home Insurance Policy, that policy is the one you have to claim on first. If one is riding a horse belonging to a riding school, their insurance covers the horses and probably clients too.
If you are sharing a horse, your cover will depend on it being a genuine share where you contribute to the care and upkeep of a horse - it is not valid if you hire a horse per hour.

I think this may be it - the horse would be on hire for a week through a club from an equestrian centre. The club insists on riders having insurance and you can't ride until they see a copy/e-mail. 3rd party liability sounds about right as i assume that the horses themselves are insured through the supplying equestrian centre.

I'll check the BHS - many thanks! :)

I'd double check with the EC, they may require rider insurance rather than 3rd party as you are the 3rd party to them (as would a member of the public be if they got injured by a bolting horse) and they are trying to avoid claiming on their insurance if you get injured, generally anyway.

If it personal liability insurance you are after, then go with the BHS. Before I purchased my own horse I used to share from both private owners and riding school, and they were always satisfied with my BHS gold membership.

You often hear that E&L are bad but I was with horseinsurance.co.uk which is one of their subsidiaries and they were fine. Paid out for the issue with my horse without any quibbling. Apparently some vets won't use them though (not sure how true that actually is) so that might be worth bearing in mind. Again, it wasn't a problem I encountered, my own vets are perfectly happy with E&L. I think a lot of their bad reputation stems from a few years ago now.

newrider.com