Rider and horse killed

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I see that the lady whose horse was killed at Woldingham has died. I used to ride around that area when I was down south.....Can't believe that a driver would not stop when it would be clear that they had caused a major injury, i.e. the horse broke its leg and the rider had a fractured skull. You wouldn't not know that this was a major incident and the least you could do was ring 999.

I think a lot of riders would not want to wake up from an accident like that, to be told your horse died and you are severely disabled as they thought she had life changing injuries including potential brain damage.

I just can't fathom how someone could be so callous and leave both horse and rider in extremis like that. The chances are it would be classed as an accident and no one knows what happened, but the actions of the driver afterwards make them so much more culpable. I hope they catch them and throw the book at them.

Panic? Some people don't act rationally in a crisis. And then too scared to own up once they'd calmed down, or maybe they'd even blanked it from their memory.

Or it could be a drunk driver, or one under the influence of drugs, or a stolen car. You have to question the morals of the person doing any of those in the first place, so maybe it isn't that big a step to keep going and not report it.

I'm not justifying it, there can't be any justification, and I feel so sorry for her family.

Bit like the person who knocked my daughter off her motorbike on a dark country lane one evening, left her in the middle of the road unable to get up, with broken bones, on a blind bend!
There is I hope a special place in hell for them :mad:

on a lesser scale the bastard who hit my wonderful cat Lucy on the lane next to our field and left her alive, with a broken pelvis and back. they knew they hit her. she was yards from home. I think I know who did it as well. another driver stopped took her to vet and the vet recognised her and called us, sadly she had to be pts.

My parents had a long time friend that called my dad at work (they worked for the same company, same shift) to say he had a seizure and needed my dad to come help him. My dad rushed to meet him. When he arrived he found out that the "friend" had a seizure (that was the only true part) and had been involved in potentially multiple hit and runs in his HUGE truck while he was disoriented. This "friend" had a cell phone so my dad was able to look at the route he had taken and forced the "friend" to go to each spot (with my dad) he had been since he had left his house that morning. It was disgusting, the "friend" would never get out of the car, my dad had to check to see if he had hit a person/animal/thing. Fortunately the "friend" had only hit a couple parked cars but the different paint was smeared all over his truck and they never could find his custom license plate.

My dad saw him home safely and since my family had known him for years and he had always been a honorable person my parents expected him to report it to the police. Instead he abandoned his vehicle and reported it stolen. Police "found" it 2 days later and there was no investigation. I still remember my father telling the "friend" how horrible it was and to just report what really happened. When my dad found out the "friend" actually committed insurance fraud and filed a false police report he explicitly explained why the "friend" was NEVER allowed to contact his family again.

The "friend" even told my dad "this isn't a accurate reflection of the kind of person I actually am."?

• Angry
Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com