Ride With Your Mind, how it feels

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I've been having lessons with my Mary Wanless (RWYM) instructor for 3 years now. She has had to deal with a novice rider and a "severely remedial" pony, as those of you who have been around a while will know! But this year begins to feel a bit different.

My biggest issue as a rider is giving way - hollowing my back and letting go with my hands (see the "How much does contact weigh" thread I started today).

Ziggy's issues were hollowing his back, lifting his head and zooming off with me, which he could do at any pace, including walk.

Mary Wanless describes a horse and rider in harmony as "well stuffed" - like new stuffed toys, their bodies full of energy and muscle tone. This year I've begun to realise how much my energy was leaking, and how much I need to keep it contained.

When I get it right, Ziggy doesn't get away from me at all. And he is quite happy about that! Instead of a whizzy trot we get a nice little trot at the speed I want, with perky ears and a relaxed mouth and neck. If he starts badly - too fast - I can correct it by checking that my back is straight and my torso and thighs strong, keeping my hands steady, and sitting on him firm and square. Then he comes back to me, ears and all.

It feels absolutely extraordinary to be able to make such a change in him without kicking, pulling or jabbing - just being strong and consistent.

This year I am going to help him to learn to soften to the bit and hope we can take the next step!

I love reading your threads on Ziggy and your lessons. I have said many times that I have not read up on your RI type of teaching so I always read with interest more so as I have a classical Dressage RI and I like to hear what your RI says to different situations.

A lot of it is the same. what you just said is what my RI says to me all the time.

Walk is the time to think about me and my position if I can't get that right how am I going to influence my horses way of going and when he starts to go back first take a look at me before I make any changes to contact etc.

Interesting...

Nothing useful to add, just find it very interesting - I don't have lessons atm and am very keen to hear about other peoples.

newrider.com