Ride on fly rugs?

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Anyone got one or tried one? Are they any good, The poor Doll was eaten alive by midges and horse flies today, I am wondering are they worth it or shall I just use one of her old cheaper, lighter weight rugs, and just alter it a bit to accommodate the girth etc. ?:confused:

I have a HKM one off ebay for Rosie, wasn't very expensive, perhaps around £20, it does the job perfectly well, has a cut off for the saddle.

I used one once, it got a horsefly underneath and the horse went mental. Never again! We use those citronella tags on their bridles & also spray watered-down lavender oil on them (liberally!) before we leave, and the sensitive ones might wear a fly mask on top as well.

Reactions: Cortrasna
I am riding her in the fly mask and that helps around her head....but today the bleddy things were on her chest, her bum, her tummy - and I had rubbed deet gel all over her underparts, sprayed liberally with the equivalent to deosect (can't remember the chemical but recommended by my vet) The regime seems to keep the flys and midges from actually landing on her, but those damn horse flys were still happily sawing away at her and I managed to kill about three of them but she arrived home with quite a few bloody (literally!) little lumps on her.:mad:

Joosie that had occured to me, she was bucking and hopping and jogging as it was, I can't imagine how she would be if one got stuck under the rug!:eek:

Reactions: realalvin
newrider.com