Ridden showing, in a treeless saddle.

M

mad mare1

I am intending to do some more shows this year, and as my new treeless saddle is brown, I am intending to show in it! Have you seen anyone else showing in treeless saddles? Crystal goes better, and it is brown, so better than my black synthetic one!

Ive shown in mine, but mine are ansurs and a fhoenix.
I suppose it depends if you want to get placed and how open minded the judge is.

thanks, it is just that I wanted some reassurance! Ah well, I can only try can't I?

Depends how it looks really.

Some look truly awful (even if they are comfy), where as others can look quite good. If it already crowds her shoulder, try not to use a numnah, or if you need one, get one that fits perfectly under the saddle.

I think you were aiming at the VHS classes were you? I doubt it'd matter much for these, they're much more lenient and more about the condition of the horse. And for arab classes, well, who said arab riders were conventional :p ;)

This is a Barefoot Cheyenne. so looks good,and is comfy! It doesn't crowd her shoulder any more than my synthetic does, so I should be ok, plus my vet did say it would be better for her,that is the main reason I got one, on his recommendation, and I have a letter from him to prove it, so I can honestly say it was bought on veterinary advice, due to a trapped nerve!

I was going to ask the same question! Frayne the Exmoor Pony is being collected in a few weeks - and she doesn't have a saddle. Want to get a treeless, but didn't want to have to buy a show saddle as well (cost and also fitting problems). I will try her next season in some local shows and see what the response from the judge is :confused:

Just try and get as normal looking a treeless as you can so it still shows off the ponies shoulder. If possible, it would be worth attending a showing clinic with a registered judge to get a decent opinion. Local judging often leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, treeless saddles are a relatively new concept to most horse owners, so if you don't get the response you want next year, don't be too put off. As they become more common place they'll be somewhat more accepted, although I do think that if that's what it comes down to, a more conventional saddle would win.

mad mare1 said:
my vet did say it would be better for her,that is the main reason I got one, on his recommendation, and I have a letter from him to prove it, so I can honestly say it was bought on veterinary advice, due to a trapped nerve!

I wouldn't start producing the letter in the ring - it just shows to the judge that your horse has a medical problem, it's like saying you bandage your horse the night before the show to reduce the swelling of it's legs or it needs a certain bit because it's parrot mouthed etc.

I am not planning on that Glider, just that she does have a condition that makes it necessary to have a treeless saddle, as at her age, 20, it is a stupid idea to risk operating on it, and the problem reoccurrin 6 months or a year.

newrider.com