Reviews, please - Rowen Barbary Mash

Frances144

Remember me?
Dec 21, 2011
Shetland, UK
www.myshetland.co.uk
As you may be aware my 28 year old Shetland pony mare, Vitamin, stopped eating. We managed to get her to the vet who did some rasping and a tooth fell out. Huge depression, Antibiotics and painkillers later, Vitamin has started eating again. Phew, and we have the equine dentist coming on the 30th of this month so hopefully we bought Vitamin some time, at least.

Meanwhile, I looked at the Spillers website and saw a ”phone us for a chat with an equine nutritironist” so I did and got someone who said she was busy, took my number and promised me she would call back. She didn’t.

A bit more googling and I came across Rowen Barbary who do all sorts including mashes. Now the weekend, I filled in the blurb for some free samples to be sent, phoned them first thing Monday just to ask a few questions. Helpful, chatty and understanding of my situation, the lady made sure my samples (enough for two meals of each type) were in the first post along with their colour brochure with pages marked so I could easily find what might help.

So stuff Spillers and I am soaking a ReadyMash Extra as I type to try it out on Vitamin.

Anyone tried the Rowen Barbary products? For Customer Service alone, I rate them highly.

I haven't used it, but when I was struggling for something palatable it was recommended to me by several people, I think @MrC was one of the people who suggested it.

Like Jessey I haven't used them but I've heard good things about them. Fingers crossed she likes them and they help her.

Never tried it but I have had huge success with Allen and page stuff. They were very helpful when I spoke about Robin. They sent various samples of their various mashes. I currently use fast fiber and soothe and gain (yes I know it is a strange mix). Soothe and gain is irresistible even with horrible antibiotics in and even better is made warm. They also sent samples of their veteran feeds, there is a higher and lower calorie one.

Reactions: Frances144
I used the purple R&B mash for Kia it did him well until he stopped eating it, however Kia stopped eating everything eventually. This one last about 4pm tha so longer than some.

One thing he ate consistently that was a little bit naughty with his cereal intolerance was the equerry conditioning mash. He wolfed that right to the end so over a year he was on that feed along with suregrow balancer for good quality concentrate.

Thank you @MrC .

Sadly Vitamin hates them all. She likes what she likes and that's it so I think we are not going to change anything and just keep going like this. I now have 4 bags of various feeds she hates but luckily I have a stallion who needs to put on weight so he can scoff it.

Interestingly, though, I feel Rowen Barbary are missing a trick - my aged one-tooth sheep adored their mash! I shall ask them to sell sheep food for ancient pet sheep. There is definitely a need.

Just pretend the sheep are small and very fluffy horses! It sounds like Vitamin is going to call the shots on this one, no matter how good a feed is it's no godd if it doesn't get inside her.

Reactions: Frances144
Interestingly, though, I feel Rowen Barbary are missing a trick - my aged one-tooth sheep adored their mash! I shall ask them to sell sheep food for ancient pet sheep. There is definitely a need
I brought some heygates ram and lamb mix the other week. It was to booster a lamb up that wasnt looking good, but poor Jonah the ram has no teeth left on the front and after his work on the girls over winter hes not looking to good. So I thought id give him some of the mix too in with the normal nuts. He was most disgusted and walked up and down the shed saying weres my food. Not sure if hes eating it now or whether he just picks the nuts out and the other boys get the mix. Think he might have a fit if i offered him mash if he doesnt like mix.🤣

newrider.com