Returning to riding

Rusalka

Jan 6, 2013
Bedford
Hello everyone! I have been reading some posts on here and everyone seems so lovely and supportive, not to mention enthusiastic so I thought I'd write a post and share my own enthusiasm.

I'm 25 and had my first lesson after a ten year break yesterday at Tinsleys Riding School in Bedford (which was a much nicer school than the one I rode at as a teenager!). I am only 5'2 but I am nearly 11 stone, so I am hoping that I'll lose a bit of weight as well as rekindling my love of riding and horses.

I was placed in a novice group for my first lesson as I had explained on the phone that I wasn't sure how much I would remember; I was pretty sure I could still manage rising and sitting trot (I went on a hack two summers ago and found I could still do it) but I didn't think I was confident enough to canter. I was reassured that I wouldn't have to do anything I didn't want to, but they would put me in the novice class rather than a beginner one.

I got there and was immediately made to feel very welcome; the instructor and his wife both chatted to me and asked lots of questions about what I felt comfortable doing, and helped me pick out a hat and showed me to the horse I would be riding, a lovely mare called Teal. I didn't dare mount from the ground (I'm a lot heavier and less fit than I was ten years ago!) so I was invited to use the mounting block, which was a good idea I felt!

Teal was an absolutely gorgeous ride, very responsive and gentle and well behaved. I imagine she gets given to a lot of nervous adults as I felt I could really trust her! I was really surprised at how much I could remember; I remembered the feel of walking and trotting almost straight away (although I have a distant memory of rising when one of the horses front legs goes back, and I can't remember which leg it was!)

We all got to canter too (having overcome my nerves I was really keen to give it a go!) which was really exciting, although I'd forgotten everything I ever knew about cantering!! Poor Teal had to suffer a very flat canter the first time...but the instructor told me exactly what I was doing wrong (I was looking down!) and the next two canters were much better because I was sitting up more - and it was much more comfortable for me too! Amazing what a difference a little thing like looking up and forwards makes. I'm hoping I can remember that feeling next time.

I was watching the others in the group too (there were six of us) and I learned a lot from watching them - it was a mixed age class of similar abilities and I loved watching the children on their ponies - and it was nice to have another adult and a teenager in the class too.

I had a big surprise at the end when the instructor told me he wanted to move me up to the next level group as he thought it would be a better challenge for me! That was a real confidence boost :) I'm really looking forward to next week now!

I think the main thing I've lost is the reactions; sometimes I didn't give cues to Teal quick enough so things would go wrong, but I think it will come back with time and practice.

I think I'm going to be really happy at this school - I stopped having lessons at 15 because I didn't get on with my instructor, but I wish I'd never stopped now and just changed schools!

The only drawback is that my thighs are aching like there's no tomorrow!!! Anyone have any tips on how to relieve muscle ache? :)

Also does anyone know if there's anywhere I can get second hand boots or jodhpurs? I'm a full time musician and don't earn a huge salary, and although the lessons are reasonable I'd like to try and save a bit of cash when it comes to kitting myself out. I'll buy a new hat though - I'm aware of the risks of buying an old one.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just so excited to be riding again!!!

Sorry, you are going to have to live with the sore muscles, but it'll be worth it.

Ebay is a good place for riding gear, you can get some bargains.

Thank you!! I will have a look! Had a feeling that would be the case about the sore muscles... My OH thinks it's hilarious that I can't climb the stairs ATM without making an 'oof' sound...

I wrote a long reply but phone went wrong! In summary:

Radox bath for muscles. Ride regulary enough and will stop eventually!

Jods, try Bridleway make, twenty quid in my local tack shop. Robinsons own are good value too. Most tack shops do a basic joddy boot that won't set you back too much, and synthetic chaps to go with them.

Excited for you! I started from scratch at 21.. which was, ahem, 10 years ago now!

Thank you!!! I will have a bath tomorrow if I'm still aching!! I'm planning to have weekly lessons, although my line of work means I often have to travel at weekends so I might have to miss the odd one here and there. I don't want to have private lessons yet, I like learning in a group and feel its probably more beneficial at my level!

Thanks for the tip on boots and jods - nice to know I don't have to spend a fortune!

So good to hear that there are others who took up riding later in life! What made you want to start?

Hiya! Just wanted to stop by and say welcome to NR!

Glad to hear you had such a fab first lesson. Keep us posted on how it goes!

I'm another one who started learning as an adult... back in August actually :) It's one of the best things I've ever done! I have just got myself a share horse :) (people here are going to get so bored of me talking about her!)

I took up riding last year because it's something I'd always wanted to do and a few pony treks on holiday rekindled my love of horses. A new work colleague (now friend) gave me the final push I needed to book my first lesson and I haven't looked back since!

Ebay's come up with some very reasonable stuff! Does anyone know, when they put up measurements (eg 30", 32" etc) is that waist or hip? I'm a size 12 hips but a size 16 waist (not a good combination!) and I normally buy trousers in a size 12 and dresses in a 14/16. Any advice much appreciated!

I am also 5 foot 2 and was 11 stone when I bought my pony Ziggy a few years back, though I am 10 now. I would advise going for the waist measurement - I found a 30" to be about a size 14. It's awful to have your jods digging in to your tummy as you ride.

What size boots are you btw?

PS I LOVE your avatar!

Hi!

I also stopped riding when I was 15 but had a 30 year break before starting again. I remember well the aching after the first lesson! To make matters worse I had been put on the widest roundest cob I have ever seen. She was an angel to ride but got her revenge later! I could barely walk the next day and a friend told me the only cure was to get back on and do it again - she was right :biggrin:

Buy yourself a hat that fits well and is robust. A hat really needs to be fitted, not bought off e-bay, and choose a well respected brand.

Jodpurs and breeches go on waist measurements. Like Jane I wear a 30 inch (that is waist measurement) but my hip size is 16 rather than 14 in some brands.

Just one word of warning. If you buy cheap stuff, it may not last well. I started out with the cheapest hat, boots, jods and waterproof coat. All bought from the shop at a local riding school.
The coat lasted well but everything else wore out after about a year. On a cheapo hat the foam lining will crush down and it may become quite loose and useless after a year's wear. When my husband started riding 5 years ago, I bought him pricier but higher quality boots, breeches and jacket etc and he is still wearing all of them 5 years later. Some of it came from sales and over the net cut price, but I bought good quality brands for him right from the start.

You would do well to get yourself a mail order catalogue from somewhere like Rideaway and familiarise yourself with brand names. I find it hard to enviasage what 11 stone looks like, but people who need larger sizer of breeches on this forum sometimes recommend fullerfillies.

Hi and welcome to New Rider.

Sounds like you had a lovely lesson and have found a good riding school.

You will soon get back into the swing of things and be totally 'bitten' by the horse bug:smile:

Spend the most money on the hat. Buy someting like a Charles Owen Junior Skull cap if funds are limited. They are the same as the adult hats but cheaper because they are classed as childrens wear.

For jods and boots try http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/?gclid=COPZ5rHi1bQCFW_KtAodjX4Ahw. They have some very cheap new stuff. which will serve your purpose very well.

Tescos direct also do cheap jods.

The 'aching' will be worst, the day after the day after if that makes sense. Do some light stretching exercises for your inner thighs and go for a walk :smile: The more you ride the less you will ache in time.

I'd always wanted to learn as a kid but we didn't have the money. I treated myself to riding lessons after finishing my AAT exams at work, using my pay rise and extra free time.

I now have a horse on loan from a friend and we like to do a bit of most things but mostly hacking and schooling.

As Tina said, Tesco is a good call, you can prob get them online :D I started out in a Charles Owen junior helmet too!

Ebay's come up with some very reasonable stuff! Does anyone know, when they put up measurements (eg 30", 32" etc) is that waist or hip? I'm a size 12 hips but a size 16 waist (not a good combination!) and I normally buy trousers in a size 12 and dresses in a 14/16. Any advice much appreciated!

There's lots of room for stretch in most Jodhs. Don't fret too much. IFthey fit the wasit theywill fit your bum!

Hello :wavespin: welcome to NR. Glad you enjoyed your first ride, and in answer to your clothing question, I say robinsons for jods - I am waaaay heavier than you and have no problem fitting into their 36". And for £20, the requisite range (robbys own make) last pretty well.
Boots, depends if you want short ones and chaps or long ones. I'd have a look on equestrian clearance as the k*ty range (their own make) is not bad price wise and they get good reviews.
Hatwise, go to your local tack shop and get it fitted. Like Tina suggests a jockey junior skull cap is fairly priced around £50 when I got mine. You can kit yourself out for £100 or grab a few more bargains on eBay if you're patient. Oh I think decathlon and sports direct also do equestrian clothing. But can't remark on the quality.

Now as for the riding pains, I'd get used to it lol! I thought I was doing ok, returned to riding three years ago after a 12 year break, the pains had disappeared as I ride regularly. Until I then started doing mad canters about the countryside just lately and my muscles are screaming at me again. No choice in the matter, you just have to walk like John Wayne for a couple of days, feel the pain and get right back in the saddle.....where you belong. :wink: enjoy!

Wow thank you so much for all your lovely replies!!!!! I've now had a bath and am much less achey :) To answer some questions...

Jane - my shoe size is 3-3.5 - I'm hoping that this means I can get children's boots! Glad you like the avatar - it made me giggle!!!

Bodshi - thanks for the sympathy! When I went on a hack two years ago I was put on a very fat horse... Couldn't walk for two days afterwards! Luckily it wasn't as bad this time!

Skib - thanks very much - I will definitely get a hat fitted, and will check out fullerfillies too!

Tina - thank you, I'll have a browse! I've been doing some stretches for my thighs that my singing teacher taught me which have helped hugely.

Flipo's mum - thank you!!! I'll definitely check out everything you mentioned. I don't get paid again until April though so I might have to wait to treat myself :)

I gave a piano lesson to a nine year old today who used to ride at my school, and she and her mum had been betting on which horse I'd have in my first lesson... The nine year old won!!! :)

Nowt to add - just wanted to say hello. Tis all very exciting - I started having lessons age 34 after 20 odd years of longing... (had the odd one as a child). Enjoy buying your new horse attire! I shouldn't think you will fit fullerfillies - their stuff might be too generously sized for you. Robinsons is one of my fav places - they do lots of different styles in their own brand which are a good price.

Hi Rusalka - welcome to NR :wavespin:

Hope your muscles have eased a bit now - at least console yourself that you must have worked them a bit :wink: Like the others say, it goes away the more you ride.

I'm waiting to replace my saddle at the moment so haven't ridden in ages - boy will I suffer when I get back on :giggle:

Your first lesson sounds like fun and what a lovely sounding riding school you've found there too. That is worth such a lot when you're building confidence and learning new things, especially as an adult.

I returned to riding just over 2 yrs ago having given up at 15 too. Somehow I owned a horse within 2 months and have just bought a pony for my daughter so now have 2 geldings :biggrin:

Looking forward to reading more of your posts. Btw, Aldi do fabulous cheap jods and boots if you keep your eyes on their "special buys" for the horsey stuff coming into stores again. Someone on the forum usually gives us all the heads up when they find out they're in stock :wink:

Happy horsing!

Hello again everyone and thanks for all the tips! Had second lesson last Saturday in the new intermediate group - much more of a challenge but it was really good! We had some races to see who could canter the fastest (I lost that one every time) and slowest (and I managed to win that one!!!) I was on the same horse again, which was brilliant :)

We got to do some work in 'open order' which I hadn't come across before but it was a really good section of the lesson, knowing that my horse was listening to me and not just following the one in front - and it really teaches you to open your eyes and be aware of other riders too.

Not so achey this week! Yay!

newrider.com