Return to riding after Hysterectomy

Spot the wonder horse

Showing Diva
Nov 22, 2014
Have any of the forum members had experience? Obviously its very early days only had the op on Monday 18th May, already bored to tears and missing the horse!

4 weeks for me - but used a mounting block to get on and off, and only light hacking on a very safe plod for the first few weeks, until my core strength had returned and all internal stitching was well and truly holding up and doing the job! Just go easy and take things gently, but my surgeon was extremely impressed when I had my 6 weeks check up at how well and how quickly I had recovered. Hope you are back on board soon.:)

Crikey didnt expect it to be that soon!, I can only just waddle about at the moment. Have an appointment at 4wks with Consultant I suppose I could discuss it then?

Yes do ask, but be quite prepared for them to say nothing for at least 8 weeks......they always over egg it on these things I find just to cover themselves I guess. But I think the fitter you are when you have the op the quicker you mend. I was a 7 day a week very active rider back then, so very fit and I am sure that helped.

You will be surprised how much better you are feeling in 4 weeks time I would think. :)

As the mother of an obs and gynea consultant, it isnt for nothing they advise you not to ride or not to drive -
Please wait as long as your surgeon advises because there a good medical reasons and in the long run it is for your own benefit. In order to open you up they have to cut through or separate some important abdominal muscles and these take time to mend and get back into place. My daughter is always on about not re-injuring damaged tissue. If you have an injury or a surgical incision take care not to stress it or bruise the same place again until it is fully healed and back to strength. She isnt around to ask about hysterectomy at this moment but it is sensible not to ride until they say you can and also until you feel like it. After my op (not hysterectomy) it was 6 weeks but I didnt feel like riding till 8.
As for over egging it - No. Surgeons have nothing to lose - it isnt the surgeon who may have on going problems if you fall off a horse at the wrong moment or in the wrong way; it is you the patient. But I would blame a surgeon who didnt explain clearly to a patient the reasons for and against resuming something like riding. Or who has left you with no info at all. That also makes my daughter very cross.

I have taught several women post surgery and it really depends on your fitness beforehand, one girl was struggling after 6 months but she had two consecutive operations within a month to recover from. When she eventually started she was still in a lot of pain from scar tissue and we took things very slowly, she also bought a IJoyRide which she used daily to help restore her muscles and that helped a lot.

I have taught several women post surgery and it really depends on your fitness beforehand, one girl was struggling after 6 months but she had two consecutive operations within a month to recover from. When she eventually started she was still in a lot of pain from scar tissue and we took things very slowly, she also bought a IJoyRide which she used daily to help restore her muscles and that helped a lot.
Its not painful as such, but everything has gone south :) and it feels like the muscles are pulling tight. I had another procedure in January and took longer than expected to recover from that, very stupidly went back to work to soon and ended up having more time of.

I wouldn't even have considered riding for a good six months, but I suppose it all depends on your level of fitness beforehand. I wasn't that fit and I remember feeling as though I would never be able to walk properly again.
But it turned out to be one of the best things I've ever been through - life transforming, in fact!
Take your time and don't be in any rush at all to get going ..... your body needs loads of time to heal.
And don't forget that it's a good six months before you should use any heavy machinery, such as Hoover, washing machine, cooker etc....they are very heavy machines!! :D

I have to say I am a little perplexed by the very long time scales that some people are advocating before resuming riding? I am and never was any sort of wonder woman I can assure you!:eek: I know full well we are all very different and very individual in the rate at which our body heals etc but several months does seem a rather gloomy and less than encouraging prognosis.

Surely if you slowly build up your walking, gentle exercise etc. etc. you will heal all the quicker for doing that? and if you also start of with gentle riding at a slow and undemanding pace that will also do so much to heal those muscles that have been cut through and stitched. Nothing exercises the whole area that is affected by a hysterectomy better than riding IMO, and at a gentle pace it will surely speed up the recovery from a time span of many months?o_O

Cortrasna, the girl I taught had had major surgery to remove an ovary etc followed a month later by another emergency operation. Her scar tissue was giving her a lot of pain and she put on about 4 stone as she couldn't do anything even walk her dog. It is an extreme example, not helped by the fact she had a young horse so not easy to pick up and just do gentle work with.

I personally had a caesarean and rode within 6 weeks, I actually drove within two week because no one told me not to! Ironically I needed minor surgery later in life and was told I had a spiders web of poorly mended muscles probably caused by this ( surgeon was a riding friend!) Hence my caution!

Reactions: Cortrasna
I'd probably allow at least 6-8wks to heal before considering it. My RI said she was riding 9 weeks after a hip replacement. Just take it slowly when you restart

I'd probably allow at least 6-8wks to heal before considering it. My RI said she was riding 9 weeks after a hip replacement. Just take it slowly when you restart
Its been three weeks and there is no way I will be getting on a horse anytime soon! Certainly not in 4wks! I am only just sitting up most of the day and pottering about the house. I did go and see B and feed her carrots :) If I overdo it my stomach muscles really hurt and my stomach swells by the evening. Its a very odd feeling, not painfull but just very "tight" and uncomfortable, you really dont realise just how much you use your stomach muscles doing nothing until you have abdominal surgery .

I didn't have a hysterical-rectomy, :D But had fairly major abdominal surgery and part of my giblets taken out. It said on my leaflet not to drive or vacuum for 8 weeks, For 2 weeks I could hadrly move, but on the 3rd week I felt a lot better and by the 4th I think I was riding, but I was certainly shoeing! Didn't say not to on my leaflet.
I did just what I felt able to do. If it was sore I didn't do it, if I was not nippity I just went ahead and tried things,.....apart from vacuuming. I followed ha to the letter......

I didn't have a hysterical-rectomy, :D But had fairly major abdominal surgery and part of my giblets taken out. It said on my leaflet not to drive or vacuum for 8 weeks, For 2 weeks I could hadrly move, but on the 3rd week I felt a lot better and by the 4th I think I was riding, but I was certainly shoeing! Didn't say not to on my leaflet.
I did just what I felt able to do. If it was sore I didn't do it, if I was not nippity I just went ahead and tried things,.....apart from vacuuming. I followed ha to the letter......
I am certainly not doing ANY housework lol

Reactions: Wally
newrider.com