retraining a ex racehorse

dani_gurl

Mar 31, 2003
England, Essex
Visit site
I picked up a 4 year old ex racehorse yesterday. He is a very sweet boy. The lady who I have full loaned him off of said he hasnt really done anything and is a complete blank canvas, she she only rode him once a week.

Apparently they have done some work in all paces and some pole work and have ridden out in company walk and trot. He is very green and I would like to start him the right way. I havent ridden this horse due to the lady not having any lights at her yard and it being a 3 hour drive there and back and he was turned out for a year before being brought back into work not long ago. I know this is silly but he is on trial.

I was going to let him settle in and then lunge him this weekend untill next weekend. I am a little dubious as the lady has given me his passport (does that sound silly), we have all signed a loan agreement and he is on a months trial and then if we are all happy she will extend the loan for a year. She hasnt seen the yard yet and is coming for a visit next week.

Just feel this is all very strange. The lady seems very nice and has rang and texted to see how horse is. I suppose everybody is different. Part of me says that he has been too much for her aswell as her not having the time.

Any thoughts on situation and any ideas as to bringing him on.

Many thanks

Danielle

I took on an ex-racer who was 2 weeks off the track when i got him, it is hard work but can be very rewarding when it starts coming together.

How long ago did he stop racing?? As well as the practical riding issues, head up in the air, flat out on grass etc I dealt with things like getting him used to being shod outside the stable and just a general routine that was not as regimented as a racing yard.

Mine couldn't believe his luck at so much grass as he had been stable for 2 solid weeks when I got him.

Good luck with him and let us know how you get on

Well both of you have taken a risk but it'll probably be one of those weird situations that turns out fine. Just take it slowly but keep an eye out for any warning signs. She may simply have not known what to do with him-just like you are asking about! I'm sure there are some ex racehorse charities out there who would also be able to advise. I can't comment cause although I've ridden them I've never retrained one! Good luck

the passport is supposed to stay with the horse so that worry can be crossed off your list :)

you can only wait and see how it turns out.

his passport should have his racing name on it, look it up on racingpost.com or sportinglife.com it will tell you when he last raced ect, you can also see how long he has been out of racing and how much he has been shifted around, pm me if you cant find it.

I currently just took on an ex racehorse (though she never actually raced, she was in race track training but was way too slow). I can tell you a bit about my expirence with it, thus far.

The first day I got her home, she was very calm and quiet. I showed her around the property and allowed her to get used to her new home. For the first couple of days I let her do absolutly nothing but be a horse.

After working on her ground manners, with an expirenced Coach, I got on her. She was very well behaved, quite lazy acutally, and very willing to every thing I asked.

She can be high strung at times too. Today the wind was blowing against the arena, and she was very much interested in all the noise. She was very hyper and without warning got excited.

Remember with an ex racehorse, everything comes together slowly. You have to be very patient, because it will take at least a year for her to develop proper muscles for her new career.

Best of luck!:)

Each horse is different.

I've ridden horses that came straight from the track .. didn't bat an eye.

Then I've ridden others who you can't walk around the arena with without going for an unexpected bolt.

Takes time. Patience. And more time and patience :p But it's very rewarding ..

I have high respect for people who take on ex-race horses. I am so happy that there are good sports giving a horse a second chance (I do NOT believe horse racing is fun in anyway. I am completely against it.)

Hi,

I also have an ex flat racer which I took on in September, and the progress is very very slow :mad:(or perhaps my expections were just too high) and you have to be prepared for the re-schooling to take time. My boy is so very unbalanced as are many so I believe and can only canter on one lead. He also sustained a very bad tendon injury and will only be OK for flat work (dressage low level) and hacking but that's all I am after anyway. ;)

I think its going to take me the best part of a year to re-educate given that I work as well as having a high maintenance dog (Tibetan Terrier) and its a case of school one step forward and two back so I have been told:eek::eek:.

Pm me and we can support and mentor each other as it sounds like we both at the beginning of our journey's and I am sure we could help each other greatly by sharing our experiences:)

Add me to the list of people with an ex racer she last raced in August and hasn't done much since. As has been said everything takes time but I am sure watching our horses progress and learn new things will make it all worth while!
x

We have an ex flat racer that daughter now shows in Wetherby's Ex racer/Retrained Racehorse and performance classes. She has gone from being an 'upside down' scary monster to competing Elementary Dressage, hunting regularly, jumping, going cross country, ridden sidesaddle , name it she tries it.

It has not been easy, the first time daughter tried her I actually left the arena as there was no steering and no brakes. we bought her just because we had a 'gut' feel she was right.

Be prepared for the long term, these are horses that thrive on a one to one relationship and need patient long term schooling but they can be so rewarding.

Retraining an ex racehorse is a long but very rewarding experience. Time and patience are needed. If your horse has raced then basically it's a case of 'been there, done that, didn't like it so have learned how to aviod it!' They are wonderful horses,inclined to go in straight lines, sometimes a bit 'instutionalized'. It's not a case of being a brill rider but more being a kind and assertive rider. I've been involved with several ex's and providing you want a 'project' then you will have loads of fun.
My only concern with your loan is that someone could be getting you to do all the work and will want the horse back when you are ready to reap the benefits(?)

Retraining an ex racehorse is a long but very rewarding experience. Time and patience are needed. If your horse has raced then basically it's a case of 'been there, done that, didn't like it so have learned how to aviod it!'

You are right there. Just lunging they can be nappy and downright stubborn. Agree with member also that they thrive on one to one relationship, although sometimes this can be to your detriment as they play up so much for everyone else, theyre not inclined to help out with more 'difficult' and tempremental four legged friends!

They are wonderful horses,inclined to go in straight lines, sometimes a bit 'instutionalized'. It's not a case of being a brill rider but more being a kind and assertive rider.

Yes definitely... Had to shout at my boy this morning and put away my 'nice mummy' image. He tries me and my patience to the limit sometimes!

My only concern with your loan is that someone could be getting you to do all the work and will want the horse back when you are ready to reap the benefits(?)

Hope you have a written agreement etc etc so you know exactly what the loan terms are. If not get one. However, experience is never wasted, and even if the owners did take the horse back, you will find you have so much more to offer to the next one that comes along so its win/win all the way if you look at it in a positive context.

newrider.com