Restricting access with no warning

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
I arrived at our rented yard yesterday to find I'd no access. They are working on the heating for the cottages so have dug massive trenches cutting off vehicle access meaning I have to trek around the field. Any visitors (vet, farrier, RI) won't get vehicles near the yard. On chatting to a friendly worker, apparently it's been booked for months. And works duration is about 10 days including cutting off our electricity and water for periods. Am I unreasonable in expecting to be told about such works? I'm hoping 8 weeks today I'll have them moved to the dream house. But I still pay rent on this place and I expect to be told about such activities!

I think it is bad that you weren't given fair warning. If it were me I would be very cross. What if you do need the vet or farrier? Will they just have to walk?

Not good at all - so what would happen in an emergency? Assumedly fire vehicles, ambulances and vets would also have to trek around the field? I would be looking for a drastic reduction in livery fees for the duration - but as you are actually moving in 8 weeks I think I would probably avoid the confrontation and work around it for now. Very annoying though, and not on that you weren't pre warned of this inconvenience.

Yesterday we could have got out the back track. Today I can get from yard to field but nowhere else. If it's not a trench then it's a JCB or van or (and this pisses me off!) a ruddy great bonfire started by the poisonous toad who works for our landlord. He lights them 6 feet from the back end of my stables. Yes, any emergency visitors would have to go through the gate at the far end of the field and access from there. Totally agree, I'm going to bide my time as I know we are close to moving them. Just very frustrating to be treated like we don't matter. We pay good money to rent the yard, a bit of forewarning would be nice!!

Ring the fire brigade if he lights the fires any closer! Could be very dangerous indeed. How bloomin annoying for you. Do you think your landlord has got wind of you leaving?

They could be in serious trouble for lighting a fire that close. Ring your local fire officer - they are lovely and will always be happy to give advice where needed.

newrider.com