Removing shoes for introductions....

ILurfSmurf

Nov 27, 2006
Sussex
i-lurf-smurf.bebo.com
Once murph has moved, we're going to have to go through the whole 'introduction to the herd' scenario.

I've always been told that you have to remove shoes for this, or at the very least back shoes.

Problem is murphy gets horrendously(sp?) footsore without shoes on. To the point where he doesnt even want to be turned out, and just stands still, or lays down to get the weight off.

He's currently at a dealers yard, so is introduced to new horses almost every week, with shoes on and he's never kicked any of them. Understandably, i'm reluctant to take the risk with my potential new friends' horses, and they probably dont want to take my word for it. Also, do the horses he'll be turned out with have their shoes off as well? As lovely as he is, he doesn't really seem to take a hint and has come in on multiple occassions with kick marks. I'd be more concerned he'd get bullied than vice versa, thats the sort of horse he is.

I know that obviously the introductions procedure is different from yard to yard, but how does it work on yours?

ours just have them on- we turned out our newly gelded boy with my mare and she gave him a bit of a leathering (with shoes on) but nothing serious then they settled down as he knew she was off limits and she knew she was alpha mare.

a couple of scuffs are neither here nor there just stick them out and walk away, they have got to argue to establish pecking order if they keep getting disturbed/separated then it will go on for longer.

Hmmm I don't know about everything there. But, my new livery stable I am moving too will only turn your horses out if they don't have back shoes on. Have you asked the yard owner?

Back shoes off are mandatory for introductions at our yard. The situation is probably better than most for a new horse though as I think only 3 out of about 25 at our yard actually have back shoes on anyway.

Is your horse actually crippled without back shoes? That would worry me, the majority of horses seem to be able to manage quite easily without them on easy surfaces (ie smooth or soft).

Is your horse actually crippled without back shoes? That would worry me, the majority of horses seem to be able to manage quite easily without them on easy surfaces (ie smooth or soft).

To be honest, we've never tried just backs off, as he's much happier with them on/stud holes for competing.

When we took them all off for his holiday (save money and the fact he was in a nice big soft field thought he'd be ok,) he wasn't happy. Farrier then said he couldnt put them back on until he had more foot, otherwise he'd just keep pulling them. It took about 4weeks for there to be enough foot to put some back on, and admitedly, towards the end of it he seemed to be moving a bit easier, but still very footsore.

We've never been in a situation to need to take backs off, and farrier has always said murph wouldnt be very comfortable, as he's just very sensitive in his feet (had scans, x-rays, tests and everything done, nothing wrong, just his nerves are ultra sensitive in his feet, and appear to pick up feeling in his feet easier.)

Thinking about it, by the time we get round to moving, it will most probably be winter, so plenty of softness. If it means no work until theres enough foot to put them back on, then i suppose thats what i'll have to do.

My Tb was initially very tender without her front shoes, but barely noticed her backs come off, I suspect you'll actually be fine :)

My Tb was initially very tender without her front shoes, but barely noticed her backs come off, I suspect you'll actually be fine :)

oops :eek: ditto that! that'll teach me to read! Roz was very sore when his fronts came off but not bothered about his backs. In fact I have never had a horse ouchy with his backs off as I usually pull all mine in winter anyway.:)

newrider.com