removing flash & opening mouth

Stella2

Aug 5, 2001
North East England
Visit site
My boy is ridden out in a Cheltenham Gag which he needs because, although we are working on the schooling, he came to me with a habit of knashing off on a regular basis. The thing is when it was first tried, probably about 8 weeks ago, he opened his mouth, so I put a fash on (I know lots of folk here hate them for various reasons) and that was fine for a while. But he hates it and makes that plain from the the point of fastening. Out hacking he has taken to tossing his head (he was dreadful with this in the summer so I have a niggly concern that he could become a headshaker) and snatching the rein. I want to try him without the flash, but (here's my question) what is the extent of the effect if he opens his mouth - will I still have reasonable brakes or little brakes?

I always seek to have him as comfortable as possible, so if we can manage without the flash I'd be delighted, but brakes are a priority - safety for both of us.

Both his teeth and back have been done and his tack is fitted to him and checked.

Sounds as though he may not be keen on the gag. Is it a jointed version? if it is he may not like the nutcracker action.
I presume if you have gone for a gag he was putting his head down to take off.

If I remember rightly, his normal schooling bit is a Myler comfort snaffle. Have a word with your friendly saddler about a Myler combination bit - worked a treat on my friend's Fell Pony who can do off with the best of them. They come in short shank and long shank, but as Carolyn knows Patrick quite well she can probably suggest which one might be a better option

Hi LGD, Thanks for that, but I had a bitting from Carolyn for a myler several months ago and he did not go well in it at all. It is a single jointed (with copper mouthpiece) Cheltenham Gag and, although I had reservations when I first tried him in it, he has perhaps surprisingly) never objected to it (he is in it because he has a tendancy to grab the bit, poke his nose and go at times of stress - a spook or seeing others horses canter off). I rode him out this morning without the flash noseband and he was a different horse, lovely and relaxed, soft and light in my hands. I hardly need to use my hands with him unless he decides to knash off as he is very responsive to seat and leg aids, maybe thats why he seems happy with the gag. I realised yesterday that when he began head shaking in the summer, I'd added the flash noseband and this was before the gag, he was very upset by the flies, but in retrospect I think he has been taking exception to the flash. This morning's ride was a lovely way to start Christmas day. I hope to be able to keep him in a cavesson, but in any event, I hope to avoid the flash in the future.

newrider.com