Remembered why I love my horse - 1st days hunting of the year!

Lucyad

Mar 30, 2006
Renfrewshire, Scotland
OK, he is a pig to SJ when he is 'handbreak' mood, OK, he is slow cross country. OK he only works in an outline properly when my RI is standing in the school (need to invest in a carboard cut-out I think!). But what a nice hunter he is! Went to our first meet of the year (missed opening last week as was SJ), to find a grand total of 7 in the feild!:confused:. Oh, and the huntsmen, but of course they all left to work the hounds leaving us with the feildmaster. Lots of stopping and starting due to gorse covert, but thats OK as he isnt too fit. But stunning countryside!

Oscar didnt put a foot (or hoof) wrong all day - hacked 20 min from a drop off point as no trailer parking, to find that we were 1 hour early.:eek:. Went for a hack in stunning countryside waiting for people to arrive. Host absolutely did them proud with mulled wine, barbequed rolls and sausage, soup, bonfires to keep foot followers warm, etc. The host's house overlooked the ground we were huting so he had people watching (and eating and drinking) all day.

Last season I was always slightly nervous of the first gallops, particularly downhill, because Oscar bucked slightly when I got him (bear in mind he hadn't cantered under saddle in his previous home, so it was all a bit new and exciting / awkward). Now he is balanced and trustworthy enough for me to gallop along quite happily, on the buckle, one handed. Lovely comfortable ride, but with some turn of speed! If only he had paces like that when he wasnt hunting! He quite happily keeps up with the point to pointers. Not too many jumps today, but he is now happy jumping either in full flow, or from 2 trot strides at awkward jumps and onto / off roads. When jumping onto the road he will happily come back to walk 1 stride after the jumps and stand nicely waiting for everyone else. Jumped a ditch in heavy going up to his hocks (when I was glad of his Clydesdale bone!), and popped straight over a wall one stride after.

And then left the other horses quite happily, and hacked through busy traffic for an hour to get home! (I had high viz tucked into my body protector!)

Love my horse!

Sounds wonderful Lucyad!!!

Was that renfrewhire/lanarkshire hunt???

If so were the jumps big?? Was there places for those not wanting to jump big???

Nikki xxxx

The jumps are teeny!! They take the top rails off! If you want to jump any bigger you have to go to one of the meets that take you over x-country (options) jumps. All compulsory are always very small. And if you do have any problems, for example one lady's young horse not wanting to jump out onto the road, they will take them down and open them for you. Everyone is very nice and helpful, and you never get left behind whatever.

Come along!!!! It needs everyone's support! it is ridiculous that in such a horse populated area there were 7 of us - 4 of wholm had travelled a fair distance.

I think Fred is in love with Oscar :) He says if he was at a hunt yard, and got exercise everyday, he would outjump and outgallop everybody else (and actually probably would anyway ;)).

You need to find a sharer who wants to do lots of trotting ;)

Ohh well after Mr K's display of lunge jumping I think I might give that a go one day!!!

IS there a website I can look at???

Nikki xxx

Not that's kept up to date, nic - just come along - I'll look after you!

That's nice, Cappalldubh! He has said in the past that Oscar would be great at showjumping too, given 2 hours hard work a day and loads of feed - I think he just wants to make even more cash out of me!!! But no, Oscar is a seriously good hunter. Sort of like a big comfy friendly bulldozer!

OOh how exciting, and scarey and all. No piccies, I guess.... <<hijack warning>>I'm actually pant-cacking right now because tomorrow is a) my first go at hunting anywhere .... b) in a foreign country ... c) on a baby 5 yr old arab what I started myself out of a book.... and d) I have houseguests arriving tomoorow and I'm going to be late as I shall be out on the joseph and they'll no doubt think my house is a horrible grubby mess ( because it is, Because i am going hunting on me joseph).

But you can do it ... and errr... well, I have cantered before ... Arrrgghhh ... i have no idea if there will be jumps and all, and if there is, whether I can slow the joseph up before he jumps them on account of I can't jump. <</end hijack>>

How was Oscar the first time you took him - did it take him a while to get used to the excitement ?

Oh Kate, how exciting!!! You will have a ball, I assure you! And so will Joe pony, which just makes it all even nicer. Forget your guests - if they are worth having to visit they can tidy up for you and cook you dinner for your return!

Remeber that Oscar is so laid back he is almost horizontal, so him excited is normal horse er.. normal. They do usually get a bit more excited than usual, but their second hunt is usually more of a liability than their first, because then they get worked up knowing what to expect.

Even if your jumping is a bit dodgy, running with the rest of the horses usually encourages them to give it a go.

My one tip, is dont try to slow him down that much - I have seen people not enjoying themself because they 'can't stop'. Even trying to stop, in mid gallop, is rather unfair on the horse, IMHO, fair enough you could test your breaks to slow down a little, and of course make sure you stay behind the huntsmen, but I wouldn't even really try to slow down much myself - the horses dont want to get left behind! As long as I have slight steering and am going in the right direction I am happy!

I hope you have a lovely day, and if you manage to get pics (which I unfortunately didnt..) I would love to see them. Enjoy!!!

I am soooooooo jealous:eek: I want to come too! Kalli would be fab. Can't get there though:(

Cheers, folks! It isnt too far, Pink - or maybe you could go to the Kingdom Drag hunt? In galloping on the buckle, I mean I could gallop along on a very loose rein, ideal over rough terrain, but previously rather nerve raacking, as it means I couldn't hold his head up if he decided to buck me off!

Kate, I am off to find out how you got on! I hope you arent enetertaining those visitors of yours instead of posting! :mad:

I'm SO jealous!:mad: Fly and I really started to enjoy hunting, its so nice to have a horse who doesnt go mental;) Really looked forward to going this season but first it was F&M and now the bump....

<outrageous hijack of Lucyad's thread ...> Joseph was GREAT !! We did just as you said, and when it was gallollopy, I just directed him left or right if I knew there was a hazard up ahead, and otherwise left him to it. First gallollop and he wanted to race, well, all of them actually, but he actually took the hint pretty easily, that there are some horses whom we Do Not Pass. He hated the standing about stuff and was very wiggly .. but lots and lots of bending to a halt, and giving him the reins when he stood, and he was beginning to relax. We could have done with not having to leave early, so he could have got good and tired, but, otoh, found a good point to leave, with another guy who had to go to work, sent our 'little girl' that we'd been looking after off with another lady ... so low-stress time all round. Joe came home all flushed with success and happy... and we can go every week if we like ... although next week would be trailering out on sat afternoon and staying over, riding all next day ... maybe's we'll skip a week and do one more local, don't know yet - but we had great fun anyway :D

Oh, thats great, Kate! Sounds like Joe pony was a wonderful as ever. They do seem to enjoy it, dont they - Oscar was very happy all the way home as well - you could feel the spring in his stride!

Take a camera next time so we can all see what it is like over there - I will try adn do the same!

newrider.com