Reins - Double Bridle/Pelham

Poppet25

Nov 26, 2007
How have you been taught to hold/use the reins of a double/pelham bridle?

I've always held mine (when using one) with the curb rein between the index (the next finger to the little one, is that the index? if not it's the 3rd finger on each hand ignoring the thumb) and little finger, and the snaffle rein under the little finger with the snaffle on the outside so the contact is mainly on the snaffle rein rather than the curb but the curb rein can be brought into play if necessary. Variations on this theme are possible moving up a finger or so ie. curb between middle and index and snaffle between index and little but still with the main contact on the snaffle rein. I've always found the former to be the easiest for me but appreciate that some riders prefer the latter. However the principle is the same. The snaffle rein is the main point of contact with the curb as back up, snaffle rein always on the outside.

The reason I'm asking, the other day I was talking to a liverys Mum, we know each other from school many moons ago and were passing the time of day, while doing this her daughter was getting on her recently bought very expensive show pony (lovely pony) as her Mum was explaining to me the daughter didn't have the confidence to ride said pony in anything but a pelham, Mum turned round to daughter and said remember what *so and so* (her instructor) said about your reins to which the daughter promptly rearranged her reins in the way I presume she had been taught and I was flabbergasted. The reins were twisted at least once and the curb rein was the one most in play, though being twisted neither would have been much use, if that was what she's been taught I really beg to differ.

Instructor mode took over me but prefering to keep the peace I declined to comment but if that's how the daughter is being taught somethings not right or have the principles of the use of a double bridle/pelham changed in the 10 years I've been away from horses?

RonanHOYS.jpg

thank you google - bit dark but you can kinda see? curb rein on top snaffle rein on the bottom was how i was taught when riding a pelham in double reins. *note* rider has piano hands tho tsk tsk thumbs on top!!

I hold them using the variation you describe, ie snaffle rein as normal then curb one finger above. I'd be surprised if the child had been taught that way, I expect she'd just got in a muddle!

RonanHOYS.jpg

thank you google - bit dark but you can kinda see? curb rein on top snaffle rein on the bottom was how i was taught when riding a pelham in double reins. *note* rider has piano hands tho tsk tsk thumbs on top!!

Yes I agree curb rein on top because if hands in correct postion that would be so but even though snaffle rein is bottom it should always be on the outside, not twisted and should always be the first point of contact with the horses mouth.

Thank you Laura :)

The picture is correct for use with a double bridle but with a pelham, being a single bit, you can have the curb rein between little finger and ring finger and snaffle rein between middle and index finger.

I hold them using the variation you describe, ie snaffle rein as normal then curb one finger above. I'd be surprised if the child had been taught that way, I expect she'd just got in a muddle!

Maybe daughter did get in a muddle, she is a very nice kid, but Mum did insist she held the reins as per the instructors guidelines which were clearly wrong. Might explain why the daughter is having problems with said pony.

It really is a very nice pony and the daughter is a lovely girl.

Biting tongue at the mo :eek:

I held them with the curb rein between my little finger and ring finger when I had my boy (pelham) with the curb on the bottom however, when I rode at an RS a while ago she had me cross the reins and have the curb on top which was wierd for me- she said it was the French way.

I held them with the curb rein between my little finger and ring finger when I had my boy (pelham) with the curb on the bottom however, when I rode at an RS a while ago she had me cross the reins and have the curb on top which was wierd for me- she said it was the French way.

Curb on top is right though? or am i reading your post wrong lol - been a long day!

Curb on top is right though? or am i reading your post wrong lol - been a long day!

Unless I'm going mad the curb is the bottom one on the bit right? And the snaffle from the bit rings? I hold the snaffle reins as normal and the curb underneath (so the gap runs from the bit ring to my hand with no cross over) between my ring and little finger. So curb on the bottom :)

Yep with snaffle under little finger I was taught you can just tilt your hand if need be to control snaffle rein, curb is held consistent between third and fourth.

Normally the curb rein is on top, snaffle below when they're in your hand (they cross over on the horse's neck). That way the snaffle should be the rein you tend to use first/more.

snaffle is in my little finger, curb where the rein would go when i ride with a single rein.

picture...
picture.php

i used to hold them the other way round, but it feels wrong now :)

newrider.com