Recommended saddlery Dorset/Hants/New Forest-ish area

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
Anybody got any recommendations?

I heard good things about Calcutt and Meadowlea and Nathaniel Underwood.

I have tried one in Fordingbridge but will not be going there again....

I used this lady last time Saddlewise however that was 2 years ago & I'm not sure the saddle we have is 100% right for us.

I need somebody I can trust to try & not sell me something hugely expensive as I need to have the saddle checked after Roxy rolled with it on the other day (darned horse).

Ah well, I use the one in Fordingbridge - so not much help there ! ;) There is a good saddler in Boldre and one at Beaulieu, Norris & Sons :)

^ I presume therefore Ruskii you are happy with the service you have had? I am wondering if it might be worth a second shot although he did pi$$ me off severely first time and then somebody else at the yard had a bad experience too - yet I have also heard many good things *insert confused smiley*

A bit like anything in life I suppose... :unsure:

I think it is. You can ask about nearly any saddler in any area and you'll hear mixed reviews to 'Won't touch with a bargepole' - to 'I've never had a problem with them'. But you can only go on your own judgement, if your not happy with it then don't use them :)

I *think* he has also fitted AnnaReeves0 and DizzyWoo's horses ?

He came recommended to me by a riding school, as he fitted their horses. He let me have a saddle on trial for a long time, I still wasn't happy with the fit (and I gave it a GOOD try) he refunded my money no questions asked. My horse is an awkward shape and conformation, we tried many many combinations to get a saddle that fitted a) my horse and wouldn't flippin slip! I was impressed as well that he would only fit a saddle that wouldn't slip without a sticky pad, as even he said one that slips doesn't fit. and b ) my arse and was comfortable for me to.

We found the right combination of girth and saddle after many hours of fiddling and I was and am still happy with it :)

Oh and I said my budget that I had (Was a bit tight with saddle funds after I had just forked out £1800 for a M2M saddle that gave my horse a bad back ! :mad:), and we found something well within it, he usually has a good selection of second hand ones in.

Last edited:
I can recommend Calcutts. Have used Dianna for years and she has always been honest and I trust her. Recently got my saddle'checked' by another fitter who told me it was a terrible fit and then promptly tried to sell me a new synthetic! Had me in a bit of a panic but Dianna checked it, reflocked it and it fits a treat now.

I *think* he has also fitted AnnaReeves0

He has but jury's still out for me. Am getting dips behind the shoulder blades following our last fitting a few weeks ago but it could be just about end of year skinniness and Id not noticed it before? Saddles are such a ruddy nightmare. Nice guy, friendly and helpful, didnt rip us off and happy to keep going until I said I was happy, despite thinking he had done when I chirped up 'well actually....'

newrider.com