Recommended saddle cloths

Stella2

Aug 5, 2001
North East England
Visit site
I have just started to ride in a dressage saddle after a GP. I have been using a Prolite Comfort Saddle cloth (£49!) with my GP. Unfortunately, it bunches somewhat under the dressage saddle so I will be buying a new cloth. I was going to buy the same. It has a 1/4" Prolite cushioning and a staydry lining, but before I go shopping, I wondered what others use and would recommend.

Cottage Craft do a nice saddlecloth with neoprene padding under the saddle area - I've got one in black and I'm going to buy a white one for dressage I like it so much. I've not used any other cushioned ones to compare it with. It's only £20 though.

Inches' saddlery dressage squares are really nice - brain dead here but I think mine was around £25 for the large one - they attach to the D-rings of the saddle rather than the girth straps. Available in lots of different colours.

The other that I like is the Griffin Nuu-med hi-wither dressage square - I've got the one without the wool lining. Only in balck and white, also attach to the d-rings.

If it is a WOW saddle, I think the WOW people also now do a saddlecloth/numnah range for the WOW saddles.

I'll second the nu-med hi-wither dressage squares or numnahs. I find that one of the biggest problems I have is getting saddle cloths with tapes that actually stretch to the girth straps, either they just won't stretch or I can't lift the cloths into the saddle gullet unless I simply don't bother attaching them. Never had a problem with nu-med and I like the half-wool lining as well. You can purchase them at www-rideaway.co.uk.

Did you get your saddle fitted by a proper saddle fitter when you bought it? If so, and presumably you did, then it fits the way it is without padded prolite, nuumed, polypad saddle cloths underneath and if it was fitted correctly, putting these padded pads underneath will cause the saddle to be too tight. Once you have your riding hat fitted, you don't try and ride with a beanie on underneath, do you? ;)

Use a single thickness saddle cloth. I prefer the hi-wither sort as they stay up in the gullet and don't get pulled down tight over the withers but there are lots to use. Just get a standard dressage style saddle cloth or numnah without any padding and things underneath.

Good luck :)

newrider.com