Recommended reading?

Esther.D

Jan 3, 2003
Shetland!
maenoferren.mysite.freeserve.com
Have done (not assessed) Parelli level 1, familiar with Monty Roberts/Kelly Marks, Michael Peace, Richard Maxwell and have their books.

Where next? For general knowledge and interest to widen knowledge and cherrypick ideas as usual, not looking for a solve all technique.

Who would I like do you think and what would you most recommend that they have written?

There's a book in process on learning theory that I would highly recommend :) Unfortunately it's not finished yet but it will certainly be one to look out for when it's done. I've read the first chapter (it's not my book btw) and it's brilliant, really explains stuff like positive/negative reinforcement, punishment, schedules etc, things that most books don't go into. I'll post about it when it's finished :D

Have you read the Mark Rashid books? They're not technical manuals as such but have lots of lightbulb moments plus they're a really good read.

good books

Hi

"TRUE HORSEMANSHIP THROUGH FEEL" BILL DORRANCE.

Klaus Ferdinand Hempfling Dancing with horses

2 very good books

I like Mark Rashid too. His writing is more about having the right attitude rather than any techniques but he is very readable :)

I agree Mark Rashid's books are excellent, as is Tom Widdicombe's "Be with Your Horse: Getting to the Heart of Horsemanship".

Lucy Rees' "The Horse's Mind" is a classic of course, but out of print. (I have a draft of a new book she was working on - a sort of "past, present and future of horsemanship" - wonderful stuff and full of wisdom, but I have no idea it's going to be published or not.)

Marthe Kiley-Worthington's books are always interesting, scholarly and challenging.

If you're intererested in behaviour and its relevance to how we keep and train horses, I wholeheartedly recommend Lesley Skipper's books. There are several to choose from, including "Inside Your Horse's Mind", "Let Horses Be Horses" and her most recent (and perhaps the one I would recommend the most) "Understanding Horse Behaviour".

There's a book in process on learning theory that I would highly recommend :) Unfortunately it's not finished yet but it will certainly be one to look out for when it's done. I've read the first chapter (it's not my book btw) and it's brilliant, really explains stuff like positive/negative reinforcement, punishment, schedules etc, things that most books don't go into. I'll post about it when it's finished :D
Sounds good! Can you tell us who the author is at least?

Thanks everyone! Its my birthday soon and I am looking for books to go on my wishlist :) I suddenly thought this would be the perfect opportunity to widen my knowledge.

FB - I forgot to mention Lucy Rees, I have that book it was my first introduction to thinking about this sort of thing as a young teenager. Great book and would be very interested if she publishes another.

How about Tom Widdicombe - Be With Your Horse. That's a nice read and I like Tom because he is very self-effacing and speaks a lot of common sense.
(We've got a clinic with him in Kent this weekend - can't wait!!).

got to second, third and fourth Mark Rashid lol ! love his way of thinking and how his books just make you go Doh, why didn't i see it that way :)

Mark Rashid, Klaus Ferdinand Hempfling, and Mike Schaffer (incidentally, laura jeanne - have you been following the videos of him and 'Indeed' ?)

And then I'd also go Jim Masterson's massage DVD.

(just throwing that into the mix, it's kind of neat to see what is inspiring everyone at the moment :D )

it's a massage DVD - but it's all about 'listen to the horse' - and it's having quite a profound effect on a couple of ponies and me.

If it's some general knowledge you want, and want to know about some animal psychology, have a look at books by Temple Grandin -she's a Professor who happens to be autistic! Gives a good insight into animal behaviour which is so useful when dealing with horses.

And, of course, anything by Linda Tellington Jones.

Mark Rashid's third book, Horses Never Lie.
And if you've never seen it, Perry Wood's Real Riding? Too elementary for you perhaps. I had it early on. But order it from the library, it makes one rethink.

If it's some general knowledge you want, and want to know about some animal psychology, have a look at books by Temple Grandin -she's a Professor who happens to be autistic! Gives a good insight into animal behaviour which is so useful when dealing with horses.

And, of course, anything by Linda Tellington Jones.

Does Temple Grandin work with horses too? I've heard of her through my previous incarnation as a speech therapist - amazing woman.

I like Mark Rashid books as well only read two so far but hoping to get the others soon, his way of thinking seems just logic, very intersting read. :)

Ho Hum ... he did seem to be grinding to a halt with that project last time I looked. Pity - I think he was just too far 'out there' for here.

newrider.com