Recommend me someone to help with loading in Hampshire.

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
I don't think I'm going to be able to afford anything in the short term (and will continue to practice a variation of the sqeeze game) but now Joy is ok with being in a stable I would like to think about getting someone to come with a lorry and practice loading and travelling.

Can anyone recommend me someone in Hampshire please :)

Just curious but do you think stabling and loading are connected for your horse.
Only ask as I have one difficult to stable but a dream to travel.
Also have one that would happily live in a stable but had loading problems now resolved.:)

What about Sarah Weston?

http://www.logicalhorsemanship.co.uk/

I hear lots and lots of good things about her on NFED (well from those that aren't equine knuckledraggers ;) ) and from the bit of online contact I have had with her seems a really nice person too.
She does great work with all sorts of issues so am sure she could help :)

Plus she is an all round good egg as she gives her services freely to encourage commoners to take a more enlightened approach when handling semi wild Forest ponies and foals. Unfortunately there remain some VERY unpleasant methods in vogue down here, especially at the Beaulieu Road sales :( and Sarah fights a tactful rearguard action to improve things.

Neen on here has used her too and reccomends heartily.

Covers all of Hants :)

My instructor who you'll meet on Friday may know someone, or may be able to help (maybe?)....she has a wonderful understanding with horses and gives groundwork tutition, worth asking her at least.:)

Then we just need a box - I'm still on my mission!

Just curious but do you think stabling and loading are connected for your horse.

For me I see that there maybe some overlap in issues.

Joy hated being tied up in the barn, she then became more confident with that and mow we have progressed to her being comfortable in a stable.

She also wasn't very good at passing between two handrails once when out hacking.

I think there may be a touch of claustrophobia going on with her.

Having been woking on the enclosed spaces issue I now want to make loading/travelling a possive experieince for her. If we go near horse boxes/lorries/estate cars with their backs open then she will just plant. She really isn't very happy at all and I want to get rid of the bad associations she has with them. :)

I've known many horses dislike cars and lorries with their doors open, but still happy to box it may just be a first reaction. You've done brilliantly with her other issues so you should feel confident that you will have success with this too.:)

She doesn't box, or at least it was a struggle the last time I tried which was only last September.

I'm not going muddle through on this one. I need someone with natural horsemanship leanings that can relate well to both me and Joy to get us through this.

I'm not going to risk making things worse. If you see her with a horsebox you'll see how upset she is about it.

It's my last major challenge in dealing with her previous 'baggage' - I hope :rolleyes:

I wasn't suggesting that you don't need help or should muddle through, I think looking for expert help is a great idea:), and with all your bonding and recent successes I'm sure you'll get there and you should be feeling confident:). There must be a NH expert in the area that could help. I'll ask around.

I wasn't suggesting that you don't need help or should muddle through

I know you weren't but this was more of a musing ramble to myself as it's what I did with all the other major issues like hacking out solo, traffic proofing, clipping and stabling.

I know this one's something I could make a serious hash of and just compound matters :eek:

It's too important to me to get right so I can come up to you and get to some of those fun rides we've been talking about :p

I think you are heading in the right direction and have done really well so far.

Rather than take a direct line approach to the "horsebox" why not do some more indirect stuff first like you've done already with the squeeze game. eg will she yo yo thro a narrow gap? Will she play other games near a car with the boot up? If she freaks at the car then she needs to get confident with you and it. All things you can do at her pace which will help in the long run.

I still find it hard to understand how doing something with a horse which appears totally unrelated will help them get confidence to do the thing we are aiming at!

I know you weren't but this was more of a musing ramble to myself as it's what I did with all the other major issues like hacking out solo, traffic proofing, clipping and stabling.

I know this one's something I could make a serious hash of and just compound matters :eek:

It's too important to me to get right so I can come up to you and get to some of those fun rides we've been talking about :p

Sounds good to me:)

It's too important to me to get right

Like other issues you've overcome - time to take stock! Think about how you have got this far.... what baby steps did you create and overcome to get to where you are now?
I think if you are worrying about the loading then you must be aware of 'holes' in your training...... fill in the gaps and the rest will look after itself...
PS dont doubt yourself - you've done fab so far.....

Thank everyone.

I suspect that Sarah Weston may be the way to go but I'd have to have a chat with her first because not only does she have to have a way with Joy but also in showing me how to get the best from Joy myself. :p

I can't wait to meet your trainer on Friday too Clava :D

good luck wth this one we had a similar problem with our mare but she wasnt frightened just playing up w had a guy who sorted her out in 1 min and now we have no problem with her. not sure on sarah weston our frend had a bad experince with her then slated her off (my friend ) on another forum.

good luck wth this one we had a similar problem with our mare but she wasnt frightened just playing up

Yes, that's the other thought.

Tbh though I don't think it's that.

When I bought Joy she went straight into the trailer with no problems but previously on the few occasions she had been travelled this was in a lorry and was herringbone.

The journey to my new yard wasn't long but it was down a bumpy unmade up track.

The next time I tried loading was for a fun ride and then she didn't want to know. That short trip to the new yard when I bought her changed her views on trailers.

I got her in eventually but wasn't at my best and was stressy myself. This was quite a long journey in comparison and Joy came out covered in sweat and obviously unhappy. I was lacking confidence at that stage and ideally she could have done with having a good old blast round but I stuck to trot. When it came to loading up to leave it took ages. I was worried, upset and self concious and this would only have affected Joy badly too.

The usual gaggle of people who would just use force and seeing a couple of those types in action wasn't pleasant and I was starting to panic that I'd never get her loaded up and didn't want to end up like them.

When I had an instructor come in to my old yard to school Joy and then give me lessons on her once my confidence had been regained she said that she felt that the trailer was small and couldn't be any more than a pony trailer and that this could be the problem.

I didn't travel her after that and started to try feeding Joy on the ramp everyday in peace and quiet when nobody was about as the trailer had been moved to the middle of the yard. Even using food didn't do anything (Joy is very food orientated) and I persisted for a couple of weeks until the trailer was moved back again and I left the yard shortly after that.

1 year on and I tried loading her into my field mates trailer. We didn't have anywhere to go but I just had the aim of loading her without that pressure and then off loading her again without actually going anywhere.

Joy was very scared and my field mate would have been more forceful but I have never subscribed to that. I want Joy to feel confident and comfortable with loading and travelling and smacking her so she goes in won't achieve that.

I wonder if she'd be any different in a lorry? It's a lorry I'll be looking to buy in time anyway as I don't want to run a vehicle big enough to tow and I can't reverse a trailer :eek:

This is a problem I've caused because she didn't come to me with loading issues and I'm very disappointed and angry with myself for creating the problem :mad:

I created this mess and I need someone who shares my idealogy on not using force to get me out of it.

This is a problem I've caused because she didn't come to me with loading issues and I'm very disappointed and angry with myself for creating the problem :mad:

I created this mess and I need someone who shares my idealogy on not using force to get me out of it.

I can relate to that, and will be hoping you find someone that I can pinch at a later date ;)

Levi came to me with no loading issues either, straight up in the trailer no worries, same with lorries, however after two journeys in the trailer he started to hold back but slightly, I was a little suprised, but gave a tug on his lead rope and he went up. It was going home from a hack out where we had trailered out that we had to really push and shove to get him, I dont know what has happened to cause it, he doesnt prance around or lift his head or walk off the ramp, he just stops and doesnt move ! :confused:

I've trailered him twice since then, but have resorted to a bucket and food to get him and he'll happily go in, but I want my old horse back who used to walk in no hassle and I dont want to resort to lunge whips/force.

I hope Sarah works out for you and I really do admire how you go about problem solving with your mare's best interests at heart - lovely to see :D

Forest is terrible to load. He plays up big style, but if there is another horse already on the trailer he walks on like a dream. I think for him he likes the idea that he won't be on his own.

I've never tried to load him in a lorry but I will be in April so I'll see if hes any different, but I suspect his mate will have to go on first and then he will walk on happily.

Ideally I would like him to travel on his own for the future when I have my own transport but I have plenty of time to work on it.

Maybe at first you could borrow a horse that Joy knows and put them on first to see if that changes her mind? It could be that the support of another horse will help her feel better about it, although equally it could make her feel more claustrophopic.

Either way I have no doubt that you will go into this as clued up as you can get with a positive outlook. And you know Joy very well. I hope you get it sorted, or get well on the way to get it sorted. ;)

newrider.com