Recipie for home made fly spray

Bengi1991

Mar 22, 2006
Hi trying to cut down on costs now as have 3 horses to look after and need to make home made fly spray can anyone tell me how to make it thanks x

L made one with just strong tea and vinegar. Bop's had hundreds of fly bites and I get through tonnes of spray, so when I ran out today I borrowed L's mixture. It worked a treat! He was much better when hacking as they really irritate him, and even just in the field xx

Here's my recipe that I've found to be as effective as anything bought over the counter:-

1 litre spray bottle
about 3 capfuls of white vinegar
squirt of washing up liquid
5 ml citronella.

This works out about £1.20 per bottle - works a treat.

Interestingly, I've tried the Skin So Soft and didn't work for my horses.

If you are on a budget, try eBay - there's a fly spray on the called SHOO, it's made of essential oils - 1 tin of concentrate at £6.50 makes upto 2 litres of fly spray, and it really does work!!

I put it on Lexi last night and she was standing next to friend's horse, friend's was covered in flies, Lexi had 1 or 2 buzzing round her.....

Am a recent Avon convert so am loading up on Skin so Soft and recently bought some neem oil so adding that to my recipe - with some white vinegar and water and we'll see what we get eh?

I don't recommend citronella as I've seen what some horses reactions are to it! Not nice.

newrider.com