Reccomend Me fleece lined chaps or Riding fleece lined trousers

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I haven’t really found fleece lined either to be great, (fleece grips onto other fabrics and you can’t bend easily) but musto over trousers I’ve had for donkeys (20+) years and they’re fabulous, only reason I stopped wearing them is I ‘out grew’ them!

Reactions: Native Lover

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Aubrion Porter winter riding tights are fleece lined and you could put full chaps over them if you want to ride in the rain. They aren't expensive, and despite being sold as tights they aren't clingy and revealing. I find the sizes come up large, I've gone one down from my normal size yet they're still very roomy and I suspect I could comfortably go down another size.

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
I bought some rain proof chaps from Just Chaps at Olympia 2 years ago. I havent worn them due to covid shut down. I havent hacked at all these last two winters. But I intend to try them out as I dislike riding in a long mac. And they do fit round me unlike the previous ones which I bought on line but passed on to someone slimmer and younger.
Will note the winter riding tights. Thank you. But my breeches still do up - just about.

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
I have a pair of Musto waterproof chaps. They are really handy but I need to try and sort something for foot wear for riding. They are great with wellies under for on the yard but wellies not ideal for riding. Would be better with long riding boot but I ride in short boots and chaps.

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
I also have equitec thermal leggings I wear under jodhs. They have an extra fleecy patch on the thighs which is where I get chillblains.

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Decathlon or Le Mieux riding tights if you're just looking for breeches with a bit of extra warmth and waterproofness.

But I also ride in Just Chaps waterproof riding trousers on very wet/cold days for long rides, which are great.

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
Decathlon do fab, cheap fleece-lined joddies. I've worn them for years, they wash and wear well and don't slide around in the saddle.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Decathlon do fab, cheap fleece-lined joddies. I've worn them for years, they wash and wear well and don't slide around in the saddle.

I think those are the ones I’ve got and have to be hard pushed to wear, the fleece makes them so unstretchy so every time I bend my knees they pull down a bit more and being fleece they take my knickers with them 😱 I tried a belt but it’s just uncomfortable, maybe I need braces 🤣

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
so every time I bend my knees they pull down a bit more and being fleece they take my knickers with them
So I am not the only one returning with a naked midriff? I now try not to slide down the side of the horse when dismounting.

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Tuck a long top in ladies!
I fear I could not do up the breeches if my shirts or (winter) sweater went inside. My breeches were bought in 2003 but in 2008 I had a serious appendix op. which left my tummy bulging. In winter I have always hacked in sweater, bp, fleece and Musto coat. It was very cold walking today and my ride is due tomorrow.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I always by winter yard wear a size bigger so I can tuck a jumper in - the horses don't care if I look like the Michelin Man 🤣

Today and yesterday have been bitterly cold, I didn't ride because the ice patches on the yard weren't thawing and that makes it too risky in my opinion, particularly when hacks start by going down a steep ungritted hill.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I always by winter yard wear a size bigger so I can tuck a jumper in - the horses don't care if I look like the Michelin Man 🤣

Today and yesterday have been bitterly cold, I didn't ride because the ice patches on the yard weren't thawing and that makes it too risky in my opinion, particularly when hacks start by going down a steep ungritted hill.
You do right not bothering when it's iced up, I remember the first year we had Zi and OH was really enthusiastic about hacking and wanted to keep him going all winter. We set off one time and I was wearing boots with really good grips and started to slide half way down the drive (I was walking with them both) and by the time we got across the road and on his usual route we both started having second thoughts - the ice was black and you just thought that every step was going to make you skid so we ended up turning for home. Zi didn't fare well either on the way back as one of his hoof boots came off :eek:

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I have different Decathalon breeches. Mine are waterproof & although not quite as flexible as my riding tights, there not so inflexible they take my knickers with me 🤣

Reactions: Jessey

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I definitely hate cold back always tuck in my tshirt and ride in a longer jumper. Ive got a few short ones and the number of times ive comes back with a cold back i unreal.

We have a new decathlon store in the next town over. I feel a shopping trip coming on at some point next year to find out what im missing out on. You all seem to rate decathlon stuff.