reccomend a feed for an older pony whos a good doer

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
Bubbles is currently on happy hoof and fibre-beet with cod liver oil and garlic.

Cna anyone reccomend a good feed for the older pony who is a good doer? Just don't think she is getting quite enough nutrition etc from happy hoof as she should have at her age.

Hi lokisofi
i can recomend baileys low cal balancer for all nutrition - you can also make it nice and 'mushy' for those with teeth problems. the only drawback is that it is £20 per bag although only feeding 1 coffee cup per day (recomended feed) makes it last a long while x

A lifetime of a chronic worm burden (inevitable however strict your worming regime) and damage to the digestive system (e.g. from cellulose in fibrous foodstuffs, which is difficult to digest and takes a long time) mean that vehterans ofteh find it difficult to digest and utilise nutrients properly, and struggle to maintain good weight and condition.
Therefore I recommned that you add a digestive enhancer - such as Dengie XP Triple Action, NAF Pink Powder or Biotal Equine Gold - to enhance your horse's digestion to maximum effectiveness.
However if your pony is not showing any significant signs of age then you can choose not to feed this.
Instead, base your pony's diet on fibre and oil energy supplies, with ad-lib forage (a full/partial hay replacer may be necessary if he finds it difficult to eat long fibre).
No diet is very effective without some form of light exercise - even if that just means in-hand walks, short hacks or plenty of turnout.

Good luck!

:)

xx

My 17 (nearly 18) year old did have senior conditiong mix, hi-fi, oil ,devils claw and hi-fi. He is very forward going though so swapped the mix for calm and condition he thrived on both though!

Bubbles is ridden and very active. But she has had a chill recently and it seems ot of taken its toll on her. She is in perfect health but as she will be 20 this year I just want to make sure her body is getting everything it needs.

Sammii819 she is a little brighter today, and has spent the afternoon playing with the horse ball we bought her. Maybe she is just happy now and this is her new temperament as vet has given her the all clear. She is very sweet and affectionate at the mo too. Am going to ride her tomorrow and see how she is.

newrider.com