Rear Unload Trailers - opinions plz

I find most horses who are taught to back up on request don't have a problem with a ramp but many find it harder with the american doors - there's usually a step down which they are often wary of.

I personally prefer backing up a horse out of a trailer than to have it shoot out of the side ramp ...

I agree with Stormin (and I think we have the same trailer ;) - Cheval Liberte?). Jackson is trained to back off, although we have a front ramp. He thinks about it more and is careful where he puts his feet, whereas with the front unload, he is more likely to see other horses in the distance and want to get to them...

So I keep the front ramp for emergencies, and always unload by reversing. Mind you, I spent a lot of time teaching him to back up on the ground, over obstacles and echoey bits of wood etc.

I used to know some one who could only use a rear load trailer as her pony used to jump out with a front ramp. He was JA and had a tremendous jump and she was petreified he would break a leg or hurt some one unloading him. No problems with a rear load trailer. I am thinking of buying the bateson one next spring.

I agree with Stormin (and I think we have the same trailer ;) - Cheval Liberte?).

Oh yes and the best investment/value for money too ;)

I've also used Ifor (though years ago), Westfalia (they weigh a tonne, literally !!), Humbaur (cheaper version of Böckmann) and a fair bit with Fautras (american doors). I really can't fault my CL :)

before I got the lorry (due to staying away at events) I hada rear unload rice trailer, never had nay problems with it. Clip would go on and stand until told to 'back'

i have rear and front and always back mine off, as said, there much more carefull backing off, iv found some will bolt/jump off the front ramp but will happily walk off the back calmly, id say go for it :)

If they get used to it, they're fine. Ours do a backwards step down every day because that's how our stable is set up. To go outside, you have to back the horse up and then there's a slight step down. We've taught them an "Easy" command which means "Take careful small steps."

I always advise my clients to teach their horse to back carefully out of the trailer. It's much safer for horse and handler.

Front ramps are really for emergency only if, for example, the rear has been damaged in an accident.

Some horses want to rush out of the front, causing the handler to step down off the ramp which puts them at a disadvantage when trying to maintain control.

Remember, to put a horse's quarters one way you turn its head the opposite way as it backs.

In all my years competing in France I never even saw a trailer with two ramps ;). ALL our horses were backed off - never a problem.

most dont mind, you will get the old pony that doesnt like it but just practise.

walk her into stable, stop just by door and back her back out the stable, as see how you get on.

newrider.com