Really Starting to hate where I keep my horses

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I have no facilities there (not even water, I have to take barrels of water up every day, sometimes twice a day), the factory at the bottom of the road are always in, we used to get weekends and holidays to our self with the last lot, but these ones are constantly there.
I have to travel down a country lane with lorries and cars constantly driving at me, any off road riding that isn't 1 hour away has motorbikes driving around or people wandering around the woods. The bridlepath to other riding is all wet and churned up.
I have no grass, rent has just gone up, I have no hacking, they made me take my stables down and I am just getting really fed up. :frown:

Spent yesterday looking for smallholdings/land for rent and couldn't find anything suitable.

I feel for you, but don't give up, hang on in there and put some adverts
up, put the word around your horsey mates and go door knocking at farms
etc.:wink: Fingers crossed you find somewhere suitable soon x

oh dear, you sound really down in the dumps. just keep looking for somewhere as you wont be happy long term by the looks of things. BUT it does have it's pro's as well doesnt it? it will be summer soon and it wont seem nearly as bad then. i admit - carrying the water for all those horses must be incredibly difficult. i found it a nightmare when our yard was frozen over for a few weeks, getting water 2 mins up the road for just 1 horse!

is the move to wales still on hold?

I feel for you too. Everything seems so much worse when we're well into winter.

I'm always on the lookout for new yards whether I want to move or not! I'm a right nosey baggage and like to know what the market is up to.

I suspect you might find the same thing as we have round here. Grazing only round here is like hen's teeth, very rare indeed. Add into the mix a hard summer for grass and the fact that it's winter and it's easy to see that finding grazing to rent is nigh on impossible.

I hope to find something to suit you soon x

Were still having problems lower down the chain with the houses at the moment, we are looking around at other estate agents to put it up with as ours are useless.

It just wasn't fun this morning, Maddie cut her leg yesterday and I cleaned it up but this morning there was blood all down her leg again and I was stood in the middle of a field in high winds trying to clean and bandage her leg when everything was blowing away.

the factory at the bottom of the road are always in,

What do you mean by this as it totally threw me..

As for your situation that is terrible, I spent one winter having to lug water twice a day which annoyed me as others who lived 2 min away never bothered themselves. I had to make two 40 min journeys. But I had to take water as I wouldn't let my horses go without. Not surprisingly I am no longer there.

I did have it rough with having no stable but your situation sounds worse than mine. It must have been one heck of a tough winter for you and now we have the high gales and the rain. Why did they make you take your stables down, that seem so unfair.

If you prefer renting land and having your own independance could you not go DIY at a livery untill some other land comes up for rent? It would give you a break though it would mean more expense.

Where you are now even though someone has said it will be summer soon you still have the ongoing problem of the traffic and lack of off road riding?

Have you tried contacting the council to see if they have any land for rent or a farmer who doesn't usually do livery? silly questions as I expect you have exhausted all avenues.

Sorry I can't be of any help but if it makes you feel better rant away. Hope something comes up good for ya

Cheers

We keep the horses down a private road but there is a factory down the bottom (computers or something, don't know what they do) but there is always someone working there, all weekend, over xmas and holidays till 9 most nights.
I used to use the road for riding on and set out cones and such to practice weaving through and drive my pony down the road but now you never know if someone is coming to drive down the road at you (theres a man who lets his son drive down, he is about 12/13, and someone else who speeds down the road, so you can never be sure your not going to get hit by a car)

The people we rent from (large company) told us they were selling the land so we had to move off, it didn't sell but I had to dismantle my stables, we are trying to move so I haven't bothered putting them up again as the land is still for sale.

We get any land up for rent through the council sent to us, we applied for one field but didn't get it.

That sitauation with the factory must be so frustrating especially when there is nothing you can do about it. As for the land being up for sale that must be worrying as well.
What will happen if the land sells and you have nowhere to move to, sorry if that question sets you off worrying.

I do hope all pans out for you

Thinking of you

We have 2 more fields down the same road (although both get very wet) so we will still have grazing if the top field sells, but we are looking to move to a smallholding anyway, we were hoping to gone this summer but we are having problems with the chain.

I've found a few fields for sale that we might look in to.

awww, if you ever want to transport your horsies over to me theres a car park on our bridleway, i could take you out for a hack around our bridleways! :playfull:

newrider.com