Really safe to trot/canter up hills at this stage?

Riding out on hacks over varied terrain is very, very different to riding in an arena. Hacking and lessons both have their pros and cons but I do personally believe that novice riders should do as much hacking as possible because it can teach you so much. Unfortunately riding school insurance often means this isn't possible, but there are always trekking centres if you want more saddle time outdoors. I learned to ride from scratch out hacking, never could afford lessons so I picked it up as I went along. Needless to say I had plenty of mishaps, scary moments and yes lots of falls - all part of the learning process :p

As a ride leader, when novice riders wanted to try / practice cantering I always tried to do it uphill so that I didn't need to worry about them being able to pull up at the end! The main downside to novices cantering uphill is that because of their lack of balance and/or ability to ride in forward seat they can pull back on the reins and use the horse's mouth to balance - so I always got them to stand in the stirrups leaning forwards and hold the mane, which (a) meant the horse's mouth got left alone and (b) made it almost impossible for them to lose a stirrup as they had all their weight on them!

I think tomorrow I'm going bit try and communicate as much as possible that I don't think I want to canter as kept losing my sturups and losiñ my balance today and I don't want to end up on the floor it felt like the horse even brook into galop at point. And sometimes the horses arnt as easy as I would have liked for a place that says it takes beginner riders. Have I made a mistake booking four days of trail riding in an unfamiliar courty before doing any trail riding know

Riding out on hacks over varied terrain is very, very different to riding in an arena. Hacking and lessons both have their pros and cons but I do personally believe that novice riders should do as much hacking as possible because it can teach you so much. Unfortunately riding school insurance often means this isn't possible, but there are always trekking centres if you want more saddle time outdoors. I learned to ride from scratch out hacking, never could afford lessons so I picked it up as I went along. Needless to say I had plenty of mishaps, scary moments and yes lots of falls - all part of the learning process :p

As a ride leader, when novice riders wanted to try / practice cantering I always tried to do it uphill so that I didn't need to worry about them being able to pull up at the end! The main downside to novices cantering uphill is that because of their lack of balance and/or ability to ride in forward seat they can pull back on the reins and use the horse's mouth to balance - so I always got them to stand in the stirrups leaning forwards and hold the mane, which (a) meant the horse's mouth got left alone and (b) made it almost impossible for them to lose a stirrup as they had all their weight on them!
The guide doesn't seem to worry about all that will just start doing it without any warning. I managed to communicate him not down hill(he doesn't speak alot of engish

What riding ability did the brochure say you needed for the ride you're on? Tonight or before you set out tomorrow is there a member of staff with reasonable English that you can talk to? What standard are the other riders in the group, are they happy with the rides?

It said form beginner and it's been only me and the guide. I said I was beginning but the person who does speak English thought u was okay to canter and knows I did today. I'm been thinking about science I told her and been like actually I don't want do it today. I couldn't communicate that to guide he had already shorten them once after a bit of confusion to what I meant. I don't why I couldn't ride with the person who spoke perfect English who went off with another rider yesterday. I thought it was going to be all together but it turned out not. And also got worryed about the horses with the guide.

I was given the horse slots of strokes after that it try to stop in form spooking in situation s I thought it migbt

Get the guide who speaks good English to speak to the one who doesn't. If it's individual rides then they should be able to cater for what you're happy doing, that's harder in groups.

It sounds like you aren't so much unhappy with the horses as the way they are handled, but remember the guide knows them a lot better than you do. For example if mine was genuinely spooked and you tried to use strokes etc to stop him spooking again you'd actually scare him because he'd think there was a problem and you aren't dealing with it, and if he was just playing around you've now told him you're an idiot.

You need to find a way to communicate with the guide, it can't be impossible.

Get the guide who speaks good English to speak to the one who doesn't. If it's individual rides then they should be able to cater for what you're happy doing, that's harder in groups.

It sounds like you aren't so much unhappy with the horses as the way they are handled, but remember the guide knows them a lot better than you do. For example if mine was genuinely spooked and you tried to use strokes etc to stop him spooking again you'd actually scare him because he'd think there was a problem and you aren't dealing with it, and if he was just playing around you've now told him you're an idiot.

c

I don't think theys anyway you should pull the horses riens form mouth.

These rides have been good practice for me

I wasn't there, I didn't see what happened or why. Just be aware that horses and cultures vary and you are a beginner, I would hope the guide knows his horses. Mine will sometimes get manhandled in a way you wouldn't like, but that doesn't mean it isn't necessary and a less scared cob you'd struggle to find.

Well I've survived. The guide did understand I didn't want to do anything above a trot today did at one point go into canter anyway but after telling him to stop didn't do it again I didn't want to risk going into actually gallop and it appears there the same thing to him

I've ridden in almost every place I've ever travelled to, I just look for a well written advert that uses correct horsey language as I think that at least shows some knowledge. Then call and talk to them (or email if that's really impossible) about the riding and skill level required, you can normally get a feel for what they provide.
I think going somewhere without language barriers is wise especially while you are not happy doing what ever is thrown at you and perhaps selecting somewhere that provides instruction to help get you comfortable with what you are doing as many trekking places don't they just lead rides.
Do you feel you had a bad experience at this place? It doesn't sound bad from what you have said, perhaps just a little bit more than you were prepared for and the guide was rougher on the horses than you were happy with.

Reactions: carthorse
I think I'm glad I did it as I got more confidence I think. But yes I make sure next time i will ride with people that speak English I'll try a couple a hacks with in the UK before as well. I did message them about levels.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com