'Real Steady Mare'

I'm helping my sister to look for a horse at the moment after years of not riding and having kids.

Some of the adverts are just ridiculous..... how can a horse described as a 'Real Steady Mare' and a 'Confidence Giver' be shown being ridden on the last ring of a gag, flash noseband and standing martingale!!!!!!!!:banghead:

no horse is 100% bombproof! I hate reading adverts in general so can feel your pain. Things like 'gentle', 'kind', 'honest', 'correct paces' I don't know why but they are terms which just grate on me. :stomp:

I fear its going to take a long time and I will reading many bad adverts :stomp:

Its a shame she is down south and would be keeping the horse on their farm so wouldn't have much direct help although my mum is pretty experienced its years since she started a horse. If I were to ever buy again (not that I would replace the gorgeous Bob-ster :happy:) I'd go for something young and unspoilt.

YO gets in a couple of lovely horses a year at 4 yr old from local breeders who are a dream and have learnt no bad habits and in no time they are working lovely with no vices. Its a shame we can't do that :frown: There is the most beautiful 4 yr old Highland mare for sale at the mo which would be perfect.

Oh well, better keep looking :help:

Where is your friend based?

I feel your pain, it took along time to try a horse that was actually as described when I was looking for various horses, and funny enough, the adverts for the horse i bought never said confidence giver, steady or anything, it was just genuine I think...

Another phrase I don't like 'needs a new home through no fault of his own' even if the horse had every single vice under the sun it never is the horse's fault.

There is the most beautiful 4 yr old Highland mare for sale at the mo which would be perfect.

Oh well, better keep looking :help:[/QUOTE]

Has she had had experience in bringing on a youngster when she did ride before ?Am not convinced a 4yr old is ideal to start her off again

She's in Staffordshire so looking anywhere in the Midlands or the surrounding area.

She needs 15.2hh - 16hh and doesn't want to do much more than happy hacking with having two small kids, no time for anything else.

We both had horses as kids but she hasn't ridden regularly for 10 years. She has been walk, trot, cantering and doing little jumps when she has been trying them out though so she's still quite handy.

No a 4 year old isn't right for her, my point was if she was on a yard with people to help I often think its best to get them young and untainted! If I was buying again I would do that as my fab RI/YO would help me every step of the way.

Oh, another thing. My mum went with her last night to see a horse. It was 13, mare and used for hacking and some hunting in the winter. When they got there, with the rug on Mum thought it looked poor but when they took the rug off you could see its spine, hips and most of its ribs. It had been clipped but not ridden for 5 months...? Mum reckons it was clipped for hunting and probably went lame then just turned out all winter with clearly not enough food. The lady dismissed the fact it was way too thin saying a few weeks at grass and she would be fine. This was on a professional yard, the women was big in the local hunting and Pony Club community. My mum was so disgusted she had to go and sit in the car as she was so upset. The women rode it, my sister refused to get on. How can people do this??!! Are they blind? It was either severely under fed or it had something wrong with it. My sister promptly left and called the RSPCA

Horse shopping can be a real eye opener!

As for the tack I think there are an awful lot of horses out there that are wearing tack because the owners think it looks good / their friends use it / a big name uses it etc etc rather than because they need it. So while I'd be asking questions of a novice ride in the tack you mention I wouldn't be at all surrised to find it went just as well in a snaffle & with a neckstrap for the rider to grab.

Crinklesb I like the sound of your sister she knows what's the right thing to do. Last week there was a 16hh mare for sale in Crewe area,she looks as if she's got a bit of heavy horse in her but doesn't look too wide .Got it page 7 eight from bottom of page,she's called Ellie & looks lovely sort who would be ideal.

That's the one Crinklesb,not very light I know but isn't too heavy so should be reasonably athletic.Do let us know how your sister gets on.

Well, I like weight carriers as obviously they're the only ones I can ride, and I've always found them to be nice and light to ride.

newrider.com