Re-starting Riding in Old Age

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
There are several of us now on NR who have learned to ride in our sixties - assisted by NR. It seems the chief requirement is persistence and good health.

But there hasn't been much posted about resuming in even older age when one's health has let one down. And persistence may be inappropriate.

To be honest, my disenchantment with riding preceded my unexpected operation. I had a bad fall hacking last year, and switched to lessons in the school. Like eml, I began to find my previous work more interesting than riding. It's a satisfaction to exercise one's professional skills and find one still has them.

I was told not to ride for two months after my appendix op and resumed very gingerly in case dismounting hurt my tummy. My daughters thought riding would do me good. A stiff upper lip is second nature to an English boarding school girl, so by my third ride, there I was back in a normal riding lesson with my RI none the wiser.

Many people on NR know I've struggled for years with my elderly lesson horse, Poppy, whom I consistently failed to trot. Last summer the problem was solved when an RI suggested I trot Poppy like her owner did.

In April, after my op, trotting Poppy as instructed was totally beyond me. I had neither the energy nor athleticism to move her. I sat there close to tears when it came to me that I knew what to do if a horse didn't go forward as one wanted. Instead of struggling on with the trot, I three times brought her back to halt. As we moved off the third time, she gave me trot and then a perfect, unsolicited canter transition.

It was a floating transition; the RI admired it - but I wasn't up to cantering. I brought the lesson to an end, didn't book another and I went to see the doctor instead.

Lessons learned?
The GP told me three months was a much more realistic convalescence from the op I had had, and the average a year to get back to how one was before. Being 70 wasn't an obstacle - Sometimes on riding forums there seems to be a race to get back in the saddle - it isn't malingering not to ride if you don't feel like it.
I waited the full three months before going back to say good bye to Poppy.

Goodbye, because this ghastly lesson taught me that - due to age and infirmity - I needed to change to an easier, younger, more forward going horse, to which my RI readily agreed.

Being ill raised two big questions - how did I want to spend my money and my time? I realised there was some riding I didn't enjoy and I wasn't going to pay to do it any more - Whether I could find any riding I did enjoy was another question.

We talk on New Rider about riding or not riding in old age? As if all riding is the same. But it isn't. Much riding is deferring a pleasure or aspiring to future achievement. This is not so valid when you are old.

What do other NR people really enjoy when riding a horse? What makes riding worth doing?

And for those who haven't wanted to ride recently, what might tempt you back?

Because for me as you'll see, nothing turned out as predicted.

A few years ago I found that I was not enjoying riding so much. Tbh, i probably always preferred being with horses than necessarily riding them. However, I was getting tired of lessons and schooling, and increasing stiffness was beginning to make this more difficult anyway. I didn't like hacking on the roads much. My own horse, which I share with my OH, is too strong for me to hack anyway, but I had a lovely RS mare on loan, but again I was not enjoying her so much either.

Then I heard that a friend was selling his shetland mare, having broken her to harness. I had liked driving when I had tried it previously, and thought I would take it up again sometime. This was the opportunity I was waiting for. My stiffness is not a problem - shetland carriages are pretty close to the ground! Don't know why, but traffic doesn't bother me so much when I drive. I still have the big horse, and now 2 shetland ponies, to pamper and be with.

I occasionally ride my big horse in the school - and enjoy it when I do. I would love to go for slow, ambling hacks, but he is not the horse for that. Maybe one day I'll find a suitable horse for this, maybe not. I don't feel I'm old in age terms (60) but I've got to the stage where my mind and body are telling me to stop rushing around, accept what I can do and what is more difficult, and above all, don't do something just for the sake of it. Enjoyment and fun are more important.

Don't feel life is good unless I ride every day,am a grump if I can't.I hack or school,don't jump any more 'cos have osteoporosis quite badly so too much risk.Do feel sad that jumping's out but enjoy both hacking & schooling,shows are just too much bother these days as I just like to relax.I think what suits one won't suit another & you should do exactly what you want to do.Don't feel that riding is deferring a pleasure with me as it is my pleasure,as is looking after my boy.Am lucky in that I've ridden for 58 yrs now & have done the competition bit years ago,now it's just a collection of old rosettes & memories.What do I aspire to? That's easy to be able to continue riding for ages yet.

Agree with Tubby - I really only aspire to continue riding for as many years as possible. Im in my sixtys now an have left all the dangerous stuff behind me - jumping, XC, riding silly young horses etc. If I can just achieve a half way decent trot and canter on JJ its a bonus with my back and leg issues:p

Trouble is though, I am surrounded by brave young things who dash about all over the place on their horses and for some strange reason seem to want to be in my company :confused: I am constantly fighting a battle with them re showing, XC, hunting etc. etc. I just want to hack about in peace and quiet TBH! Tell them to go off and do what they want and leave me to do what I want!:D

I think that riding requires you to be in pretty good physical shape. Any operation takes time to get over and this applies to people of all ages. I had a cesarean section just over 9 weeks ago and I am far from recovered. There seems to be a race to recover quickly and I have lost count of the number of people who have told me that they were back to full riding after 6 weeks. I have no strength in my stomach whatsoever and have been told that realistically it will be at least 6 months before my muscles are as strong as they were before.

My main fear in riding is having a serious fall which injures me and hurts. I hate to be out of control and I worry that as I don't have much help looking after my children then what would happen if I were to be out of action?

I know that this sounds silly, but the death of Jade Goody really had an influence on me. She was about my age and just died from cancer. It made me realise that death comes to everyone and life is so very precious. You have to look after your family and also have a life you enjoy yourself. Last year my riding instructor pushed me to my very limits and before I had a break from riding to have my baby, he got me riding different horses and doing things that I never dreamt I ever could. I got such a buzz from it and felt great.

I haven't ridden for the last year and am aiming to ride again in September. However I am now caught between wanting to get the 'buzz' back from pushing myself by jumping xc etc. and wanting to make sure that nothing happens to me which could affect the care of my children. Sometimes I think that I should just give up riding completely, and then I think that I need something for myself which doesn't involve my family. I have no idea how I will feel in September because my mood changes daily. Perhaps I won't ride again.

What do other NR people really enjoy when riding a horse? What makes riding worth doing?

For me it is just the happiness being on board brings, whether we are walking, trotting or more recently cantering. My confidence has been up and down and it has taken me some time to realise that there is no rush and that I do enough with my horse. Just the feeling of "oneness" with Storm makes it worth doing - and that is something I get each time she carries me. :)

I've done the competition stuff, I've jumped the bigger (compared to what I would jump now) jumps. I've had the falls and the traumas and I have a wonky hip and knackered knees to prove it.

Now, I just want to have a bit of fun. My favourite thing is putting Arnie in the trailer and going of on an outing. It doesnt really matter where the outing is, I just enjoy going out to play. The beach, or an endurance pleasure ride or a hack somewhere different. Maybe a wee clear round somewhere (crosspoles;))?

I have restarted lessons but I'm in no great hurry to turn us into superstars. I've achieved all I ever want to achieve and anything else now is just a bonus.

I used to feel pressured to jump or canter or whatever. Now I point blank refuse to be pressured. If I'm not in the right frame of mind or if he's being a bit iffy then we just dont bother - there's always tomorrow:D. Recently, I got myself a PLAN. The PLAN was, if in doubt, get off and lead. This instantly took all the pressure off me. Amazingly, since the PLAN got put in place, I havent even had to get off as I have felt so much more confident.

Happy Arnie, happy Kirsten - thats good enough for me:D

Arnie is, first and foremost, the family pet though so riding is merely part of our relationship. I would rather have Arnie and not be able to ride then have another horse and be able to ride (if that makes any sense:eek:)

I had a cesarean section just over 9 weeks ago and I am far from recovered. There seems to be a race to recover quickly and I have lost count of the number of people who have told me that they were back to full riding after 6 weeks. I have no strength in my stomach whatsoever and have been told that realistically it will be at least 6 months before my muscles are as strong as they were before.
I haven't ridden for the last year and am aiming to ride again in September. I have no idea how I will feel in September because my mood changes daily. Perhaps I won't ride again.

I am so grateful for your reply Mary P. You talk such good sense - and I am mightily impressed by your weight loss plan too. It is six months since my op and I am still gradually, gradually improving. Not a lot of strength though and I actually think this has improved my riding.
I am deeply in love with my lesson mare Poppy who is suddenly responsive to the slightest touch and yesterday to my astonishment had the same from a Welsh gelding elsewhere. We did canter transitions on a hot afternoon and he went like a dream while I myself seemed to use no energy at all.
May be one should reconsider how much strength and energy one actually requires to ride a horse? If I revert to trying hard and using my body, the horses also revert to what I think of as normal impersonal BHS responses.

For me it is just the happiness being on board brings, whether we are walking, trotting or more recently cantering. My confidence has been up and down and it has taken me some time to realise that there is no rush and that I do enough with my horse. Just the feeling of "oneness" with Storm makes it worth doing - and that is something I get each time she carries me. :)

Absolutely, Trewsers. The question of time seems to me vital. In a lesson or with a trainer, one tends to expect instant results. I've worked out that the owner of a horse can take time. The trainers I admire take time. This has altered my approach to lessons.

I have restarted lessons but I'm in no great hurry to turn us into superstars. I've achieved all I ever want to achieve and anything else now is just a bonus.
I used to feel pressured to jump or canter or whatever. Now I point blank refuse to be pressured.
That is exactly what I've felt - If my life has been saved, I don't want to do anything unless I myself want it?
To be honest, my RI did pressure me to canter a different horse - she explained it was for my own good and I took the decision to follow her advice. It showed me she trusted my riding? And reminded me of learning to swim, at some point after learning to stay afloat, you have to jump into deep water. It was true that the sky did not fall on my head. I began to choose canter and canter easily even on another horse since.

Whether this is pressure or not, I don't know. It hasn't felt like pressure. I will update my story with another thread, but I am unable to understand the change in my riding life.

Riding in old age

I started riding at age 44 and was not a natural,:redface: however I stuck with it as I loved it and 16 yrs later I am still at it, although due to wear and tear caused by falling of over the years and arthritis, I don't do as much riding as I used to. But, I still love it. I don't put pressure on myself anymore, I just want to enjoy my pony and go at my own pace. I like to spend time with him when I am not riding. We have a close bond and he is lovely.:smile:

What makes riding worth doing? Gosh, what a profound question!

For me, I think I was born loving horses. I drew them from age 3 and on my 6th birthday my parents had to say to me, "Jane, please stop asking us to buy you a pony, because we don't think we'll ever be able to afford it." I never did have a pony when young, or riding lessons, but I still rode whenever I could.

For a while in my affluent 30s I had lessons every week. Now at 50 I have my first pony, and he has big issues, and I adore him. Sometimes his problems make me think I would rather just be with him than ride him - and then I see how hard he is trying to do what I ask, even if it is just "please trot slowly for 20 metres and then return to walk" and I just feel a rush of delight and (sounds silly but) love. He is so strong, and he could do whatever he liked, but he tries to please me.

I long to feel a sense of oneness with the horse and I think I believe that that will only come when I know a horse really well. Riding in a riding school, even on a horse I saw every week, I never really got that feeling. Having had Ziggy 3 months now I find I'm beginning to see what it might be like. When I am on the ground I am the lead mare (you should see him follow me around the field). On top - it's as if I see the world more through his eyes.

It's really interesting responding to this thread. I am a logical, sensible sort of person, but horses go straight to my heart. That makes me inarticulate. I just feel how much it matters!

What makes riding worth doing? Gosh, what a profound question!

Now at 50 I have my first pony, and he has big issues, and I adore him. Sometimes his problems make me think I would rather just be with him than ride him - and then I see how hard he is trying to do what I ask, even if it is just "please trot slowly for 20 metres and then return to walk" and I just feel a rush of delight and (sounds silly but) love.
That's it in a nutshell ! There's nothing as thrilling as riding a horse & having it co-operate fully with you,however small the step seems you've moved mountains.Thank you Jane

We have just loaned one of ours to a lady who is 72. She gave up horses last year when her OH was very ill but now he has died and there is a huge void in her life. Returning to horses means a bit of normality and something to get up in the mornings for.

newrider.com