Rare Breed - Kerry Bog Pony

Shannon_Clover

Mar 16, 2005
Ireland
www.geriburlesque
In Ireland there is a rare pony breed called Kerry Bog Pony.
Anyone know about them?
Here a link:

http://www.kerrybogvillage.ie/kbp/kerry_bog_ponies.htm

and a pic link:

http://www.kerrybogvillage.ie/kbp/kbp_gallery_photo4.htm

I thibk they gorgeous. I also like the stallion Flashy Fox alot because he reminds me of my first pony, Sandy. We never got a chance to blood/genetic test her to see if if could actually be a kerry bog pony herself.
She died from colic.

I would love to hear from anyone who actually have this pony breed.

someone i talk to lives in ireland and knows a kerry bog pony. sent me some pics of him as a youngster (few days old!)

:D I read the first line and thought you were having a laugh! Thought the pics might have been your own pony, in a bog in kerry :rolleyes:
Wow, never heard of it!Where in Ireland are you?

I had heard of them,in fact I emailed the stud owners asking about DNA tests (it was for some archaeological research - far too anaoraky to bother with here!) but never received a reply.

Attractive little ponies though.

They are supposed to be very closely related to ICleandics. The priests went over to Iceland and took their bog ponies with them, they all got mixed with Shetlands, Fjords and whatever else was about 1500 years ago and you ended up with the Icelandic.

That is why I emailed the breeder Wally - wanted to look at DNA to see if there was any remnant DNA that related the Kerry Bog Pony to the extinct Celtic Pony and as you say ultimately to the Icelandic population.

PhD in itself though :(

We don't really know - it has been extinct for 100s of years - we have some archaeological evidence (bones and the like) so we have an idea on height but that is about it. The Celtic Pony is supposed to be the ancestor of most of the native pony breeds including the Icelandic. I did have a paper on ancestral genetics and population but it made me go cross-eyed reading it! :rolleyes:

Kerry Bog Pony

Iv just come accross this thread and how interesting and beautiful the ponies are. I bought my two ponies as foals from Kerry and now as they have grown one looks like a Wesh x Shetland but my youngest his mother was a shetland but we were unsure as to what his father was but looking at these pictures it could well have been a bog pony he looks the spitting image of these ponies only he is a very light chestnut and has the delecate face of an arab. I actually bought them from Listowel from a farm in the Bog (should have know then eh!!) I had heard of Bog Ponies my mother being irish but never thought it was a breed just what they called the little ponies that carried the turf home. Its amazing what you find out. Ive been to "a day out in the Bog" outide Tralee but unfortunately it was thereopen day many years ago and the didn't have the ponies then.

Travis Mum - I live outside Listowel, small world!
The 'Day in the Bog' centre outside Tralee is still there and there is one Bog Pony there now with other animals in the field.
I pass the centre every day.
Would love to have one.

Geri,
God it is a small world!!!Im over in Listowel (well about 5mins from town) 4/5 times a year, Have you ever ridden at the Listowel Equestrian Center? was going to give it a go when Im over always miss my riding when Im away!!!Must also take the kiddies to the Day in the Bog They'd love it but as always end up runing out of time!!!!Nice to meet someone from Kerry!!!Whereabouts near Listowel are you.

newrider.com