Ranting cat

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Do your cats come in ranting and whining (meowing)? Mine comes in, meow, meow, meow until I reply to her :D then sits there jabbering on like she wants something before buggering off back out the cat flap :D I saw something that said cats don't meow to each other, so why do they do it to us?

I'm cat sitting at the moment and she's very vocal but only after she's been to toilet. She pops out into the garden then comes back in, finds me and meows at the top of her voice.

Cookie is a pretty quiet cat but will meow at you non stop if she's hungry.

Reactions: Jessey
Yup, one of mine is very vocal, she chats away quite happily, the other one is much quieter, no idea why they do it either.

I'd love to know what Cali is saying, I'm sure it's like some batty old woman "are you here, are you here, hellooooo...." while she's looking right at you :D as soon as you reply its like magic, poof, she can suddenly see you and then proceeds to rant on about the annoying neighbours or something :D

Flatcat used to talk to me a lot, particularly when she was feeling off colour. She'd come in and stare at me and I would try my best to decipher what she meant, but I never could - just used to end in her either sitting on my knee or me soothing her until she settled into her little saddle cloth bed on the worktop in the utility room.

Do your cats come in ranting and whining (meowing)? Mine comes in, meow, meow, meow until I reply to her :D then sits there jabbering on like she wants something before buggering off back out the cat flap :D I saw something that said cats don't meow to each other, so why do they do it to us?
Because we respond. :D
Wild kittens are mute, domestic ones learn to copy mum with sounds. Sounds get you attention and food and fuss.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
We have a farm cat who follows me round doing the horses yowling at me! She wants attention or food usually! I like it!

Nope. Ours only yowls from the other side of the (closed!!) kitchen door when she wants to show us the mouse/shrew/bat/rabbit/bird she's caught. It usually means that it's still alive so she likes to bring it in and then drop it.... for US to then chase too! (Hence we close the kitchen door when she goes out!

She sometimes makes a noise when we are doing her food. It's not even a miaow sound, more like a quiet growl. Mostly she mouths but no sound comes out.

• Haha
newrider.com