Rain Scald

Both my horses have this problem. It can take a wile to clear up when it gets bad so on horses that are known to have this problem check them often and treat it early.

I use vetadine or Iodine. You put 10ml in a litre of water or make a 10per cent iodine solution. Wet the area with the solution and rub in with your fingers and try to get all the scabs off. If you dont get the scabs off (it sometimes bleeds). The iodine will not be able to reach the actual infection. Leave the solution on but try not to put rugs back on if the horse is wet as rain scald likes wet warm conditions. If you have to put your horses rugs on then towel dry first.

The more you do this the quiker the results. I do it up to 5times a day but dont panic if you miss a day or only do it once a day as it will still clear up as long as you dont miss two many days. Once every second day untill clear would be ok. But the more the better.

Get some Hibiscrub from your local pharmacy and wash the affected area thoroughly. Remove as many of the scabs as you can - yucky but necessary as the bugs hide underneath them. Dry off with a soft towel and leave open to the air. Keep back as dry as possible otherwise. Need to do this daily until the area looks dry and healthy then keep as dry as possible, the hair will gradually grow back in its own time.

Conucresine is great. Its smeels like liquorice and sticks/stains everything but it is so effective. It is mainly for hooves but is great for any types of cuts. And it also great for nail growth. My nails have to be cut very reguarly!!

If you go to your local tack store you can buy products especially made to kill the certain bacteria. I bought some and I'm tesitng it out. I was putting vinager and babyoil mixture and spraying it on but getting no results. So I'm trying this and I'm crossing my fingers, today my horse let us get a really good scrub on it, last couple of weeks have been rough. Today we had to twitch her (tear I hate doing it!) but we were able to really clean it and have lots of scrubbing and put lots of stuff to help kill it

I know the company that makes the product is called a horsemens dream. I'm not too sure what the product is actually called!

Good luck with curing it!

SO HAPPY!

Gracie stood so nicely last time we cleaned her foot to try to clean the mud fever. We did have to use the twitch (*which i hate to use!) but I think its better then having her hop around, is the twitch mean to use? I'm just wondering because most vets use it. Thanks agian for your help!

newrider.com