Rain, rain, glorious rain

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I was starting to get really worried last night, the new field was so brown even my last years hay was greener :eek: its where it was so long and while its been so hot and dry the animals have eaten the top off it leaving mostly dead stuff underneath, generally not a problem in may/june as you get the new growth coming through but its just been plain hot here topping at I think 36c the other weekend and we haven't had any rain to speak of since at least mid May, and with sandy soil that means it goes like a desert really quickly, I started feeding hay again a couple of days ago :( but its just started raining about an hour ago and its still going, nice heavy rain with big fat drops :D I've never been so happy to see it rain :p

OK maybe I spoke too soon, after a little thunder its now absolutely bloody torrential....flash flooding heavy :rolleyes: Baha you can never win with British weather!

Reactions: newforest
The drought broke here this winter/spring

WE had been getting A LOT OF RAIN many inches over normal so grass/hay was growing like a jungle.

The the other side of that coin if it does not taper off and get dry warm days then it cant be harvested.

WE did manage around her to get a few hot dry days In a row and I saw hayfields quickly cut and it got dried and hay made.

I don't have to water any of the plants/flower pots today since its gong to have a couple bouts of rain today.

The hay I get is for the most part not local its Canadian or NY hay.
I have no idea what their hay season has been like.

Lots of times that heavy heavy rain runs off more than soaks in.

We have got some fabulous hay this year, the consistently hot dry spell means they got it all made in the dry, often here you get at least 1 or 2 showers on it before they can bale it. I picked up 1 load on Sunday straight off the field as I just happened to see it advertised as she had over 100 bales more than she would need and I have some more being delivered tonight from another chap I use who said its fantastic this year and he only has a limited stock so I'm getting in there quick :)

Well we did need the rain but did it really have to wait until now. I had my last training cycle planned tomorrow of around 90 miles but the roads would be too flooded for my poor little bike. Luckily managed to persuade my boss to let me go to work tomorrow and then hopefully things will of dried out by Thurs for the cycle! That's the plan anyway haha

We had quite a bit of rain last night but today has mostly just been showers and sunshine. It is very warm now. My field really needed the rain, not for the grass but because it had become so hard which isn't good to ride in.

Its just eased up here, we've had a good inch this afternoon, my trough thats been sat empty tells me that, I've soaked through 2 coats in about 90 mins o_O

Mine is out on what I can only describe as straw grass. Ok for fatties.
Parts of rested fields are still dirt bald.
It could be me but is it nutritionally poor this year?

My new field certainly is, I'm sure hank has lost weight in his first week there, though I'm not complaining :p with the rain this afternoon though I can already see a haze of green on what was totally brown this time yesterday.

Reactions: lauren123
Ive just been to do the sheep and cows and its only just started to spit with rain here. I think it's been going round us all day.
We do need a bit but in a way not too much. I didnt have to mow the lawn last weekend which has been a first for weeks. As it takes me nearly two hours each week I'm relieved to have a break.

newrider.com